First partial mash, golden monkey clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timduncan200021

Reaction score
So after getting my taxes back the other day I went out today and bought my five gallon setup. I started with a mr beer that I got for Christmas and immediately fell in love with the hobby but knew I was going to have to expand and quick. So I bought three 6.5 gallon buckets to start my Pipeline. I bought a bunch of other equipment that I needed as well as ingredients for three separate recipes. After reading deathbrewer's partial mash sticky on here backwards and forwards I settled on a belgian tripel recipe, it's a clone of victory's Golden Monkey with the orange peel added by me as well as a change in the yeast.

Now I know why everyone calls it a brew "day" because start to finish this thing took me a good four hours. I didn't really have to many issues and hit 1.086 OG.

The one question I did have was that I did not make a starter and just pitched the vial of wlp500. I know that this is under pitched for a beer this big, but what can I expect from under pitching it like this? I'm not necessarily opposed to a lil banana coming out...

image-1387991933.jpg

image-2534398761.jpg

image-508146242.jpg

At the least,that one vial of yeast will take longer to get through the reproductive phase before visible fermentation starts. It could stress at some point. So keep up on your temps. Start low,then raise it a bit after initial fermentation is complete to get it to finish up.

Thank you. I have it sitting In a swamp cooler in garage right now at 66 degrees and plan on letting it start to rise in a couple days. So far no activity that I can tell but I guess that's to be expected with under pitching and longer lag time.

I have heard in some belgian strings/triples of people purposefully under pitching yeast in order to get more desirable esters. Is this a sound practice that I may have accidentally followed or is it not a great idea and can have some negative side effects?

Back