First Partial Mash American Wheat Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizzourah2006

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have learned a ton on this forum and I really want to thank all of the veteran Homebrewers for helping all of the noobs like me out.

I am going to attempt my first partial mash using the DeathBrewer BIAB technique tonight. I am going to be using 6lbs of grain and filling in with DME to hit OG (which should be a bout 2.5lbs).

I am doing an American Wheat and will be using all the wheat and munich malt the recipe called for but only 1 lb of the 5.5 lbs of 2-row required by the recipe. The other 4.5 lbs will be substituted by the light DME. My question is with regards to the use of rice hulls.

Are these necessary for a partial mash if I will be putting all of the grains in a grain bag anyway? I was under the impression rice hulls help to keep the mash from getting stuck. I have 1/2 lb of them like the recipe calls for. Should I put them in the grain bag as well or is it unnecessary with the use of the partial mash technique outlined by DeathBrewer in the beginners forum.

Thanks for all of your help everyone!

The use of rice hulls is for avoidance of a stuck mash during sparge. That's not a concern with BIAB.

Back