First Partial Mash, Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBeer

Reaction score
This weekend I'm planning on my first partial mash, step two towards all grain. I'm shooting for an amber ale. Here's the recipe:

5lbs of Briess Two row.
3.3 lbs of Coopers Dark Ale LME
1lb of Crystal 10L

1oz Cascade @ 60 min
1oz Northern Brewer @ 30 min
1 oz of Fuggle @ 10 minute.

I'll be using regular dry yeast for this as that's what I have. I figure I can experiment with yeast after I get comfortable with the other variables.

Any thoughts? I'm not exactly sure what I can expect out of this. I came up with the recipe by shooting mostly for a copper color and insuring I get good head with the grain bill, and went with what looked to be good combo's in the hops area to put me somewhere in the middle of the chart.

Your recipe looks good for an amber ale. I ran your recipe through Brewmaster's Warehouse and TastyBrew. BMW says your IBUs and SRM are good while TastyBrew says they're too high. I don't know which one to trust though. Regardless, you should end up with a great beer!

Back