First Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillbrook

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wondering how this looks for a simple pale ale...

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: First Pale Ale
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 8.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 47.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 90.9 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 9.1 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 28.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 18.6 IBU

add a 1/2# of wheat to the mash you wont regret it. I use 1# in my pale recipe (12 gal AG)and it made a world of a diferance to the brew
Cheers

People usually recommend wheat to aid in head retention. Whether or not it actually works is a whole other matter. Either way it won't hurt. However I would change one thing in your recipe. Move the cascade addition to the end of the boil. Either a 5 minute addition or split between 10 and 0, whatever you prefer. If you do that then up the bitterness addition to upwards of 30IBUs. You could probably get away with a 40IBU bittering addition since the crystal 40 has a stronger flavour than the lighter varieties. Looks like a winner to me though!:mug:

Very similar to an APA I made last month that is fantastic. I used 2oz cascade. 1oz @30 min and 0.5oz@5min and 0.5@flame out and a touch more crystal.

Ok so here's the modified recipe; going to go to the LHBS and get the wheat, then I'm starting! :rockin:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.79 gal
Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 5.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 34.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 87.0 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 8.7 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4.3 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.50%] (60 min) Hops 28.3 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min) Hops 1.8 IBU

Or drop the wheat and add a pound of carapils detrine malt. It will add to head retention and mouthfeel.. and If you dont want extra mouthfeel, you could always mash at a lower temperature.

vasie said:
Or drop the wheat and add a pound of carapils detrine malt. It will add to head retention and mouthfeel.. and If you dont want extra mouthfeel, you could always mash at a lower temperature.

I know I can get it so I'll just stick with the wheat, thanks for the suggestion.

Looks good to me, though I must admit (I'm on a bit of a cascade bender) I'd make 2 1oz additions. :)

Back