First no sparge batch using BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cato1507

Reaction score
I moved from the gas range in kitchen to an induction unit in the garage to cut down on lifting and moving kettle with hot wort.

Yesterday was my first batch and I tried a full volume no sparge BIAB batch, since I'd installed a pulley.

Truthfully, I figured my efficiency would be poor, because I've been low on my Qbrew numbers doing BIAB with batch sparging.

I used EzBIAB calculator for strike water and ended up with an extra half gallon that I had to boil off.

I'm wondering if that was because I double crushed my grains?

Also instead of being low on my numbers, I came in high! Qbrew projected 1.065 and I thought I'd be lucky to hit 1.055. Instead I hit 1.074!

While I'm surprised and thrilled, I don't know exactly what to attribute that too? 20181211_142653.jpg

Well done. If you have not previously been double crushing your grains, then yes I would say that is what made the difference.

Well done. If you have not previously been double crushing your grains, then yes I would say that is what made the difference.
Thanks, I had noticed my crush wasn't that good from my supplier, so I bought a grain mill and it does a much better job, particularly on wheat grains. Plus, I kind of like being involved it that part of the process.

Brew a couple more batches like this and then adjust your efficiency to match what you are getting. The next time you brew you can reduce the amount of base malt to make the efficiency fit the expected results.

The double crush is unlikely to have anything to do with the extra volume. That is most likely due to having incorrect inputs to the calculator, in particular, your grain absorption rate may be significantly less than was used by the calculator.

The higher OG is likely due in large part to the double crush. Better crush leads to higher conversion efficiency, which leads to higher mash efficiency (mash efficiency = conversion efficiency * lauter efficiency.) Lower grain absorption ratio will increase your lauter efficiency, and if you boil off the excess volume, it will also lead to higher to higher OG.

Brew on :mug:

Back