First Melomel, asking for reveiws.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Livaleos

Reaction score
I made a varietal last October, turned out great, now I'm hooked on mead. So I plan on making a strawberry wildflower melomel.

I have 15# wildflower honey.
2# fresh strawberries
I have yeast nutrients and energizer.

it will be a 5 gal batch. Just wondering if I have enough strawberries and when I should through them into the primary or secondary? Thanks for the help.

Well I generally do split primary and secondary, or just secondary.

I also use 2 to 3lb of fruit per gallon. Strawberries are quite low when you consider their "depth" of flavour so I'd have thought it best to err on the heavier side.

Use what you've got in primary, then once the ferment has completed, rack off the lees and stabilise. Then add the rest of however much fruit you want to use. Then once the fruit looks faded or light (3 or 4 weeks? something like that) you can rack off the fruit, sweeten to taste and clear.....

Well thats what I'd do.......

I'm a rookie compared to some of our fellow members, but I'd still recommend SNA and punching down the fruit cap for the first few days.

Otherwise, I think fatbloke is right, more fruit!

Cool, I ended up adding another two pounds to the primary. So its now 4# of strawberries. I guess when I Rack it off the lees I'll take a sip and see how much of the fruit came through. If I need more I will put it in the secondary. Thanks for the wise words. I'll keep you both up to date on my little project.

Popped the top last night to degas. I got about two inches of foam while degassing. Not sure if that is normal but after all the CO2 was released I tasted the spoon and I can taste a good bit of the strawberry. Can't wait to see what happens over the next few months.

You are going to end up adding more fruit in secondary container, (I predict). The foam you mention is quite normal depending upon yeast strain and chosen fruit.

You popped the top, so I assume you are under airlock. If so, unsnap that lid and allow it to just rest atop the bucket. Your yeast want and need oxygen right now. Stir that fruit, punch down the cap twice a day and once that gravity drops by about 2/3 apply the airlock. Your berries will likely be extracted by day 5-8 when added to primary. They turn to mush, turn grey/white--indicator of time to come out. Mmm, strawberry mead, quite nice when you find a good one!!

Yes I am currently under airlock. Though I am using a 7.5gal bucket as my primary so no real fruit cap. Or do you mean the layer of yeast sitting on the CO2?

Just transferred my mead off the lees. This sample was amazing and is already clearing nicely. I figure another month then transfer again. Let it age under air lock for six or more then bottle it up. I like how it only has a small hint of the strawberry. Also has an amazing color. Can't wait for the finished product.

Back