first mead.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullet08

Reaction score
i brewed my first mead on last sat. nothing involved. just honey, yeast, and water.

i brew 1 gallon of it. used 48 oz of orange blosson honey (about 1 quart in volume).

i made slight mistake in the process. i pitched the yeast while the "wort" was too hot (i never brewed the mead before, and i'm not sure what the mixture is called). i think the temp was almost 120 degree F or higher even after the honey/water mixture after 15 min boil was added to about half gallon of water that was waititing for it in the jar.

but by next day, the "wort" was foaming nicely and now the airlock is merrily popping along.

i used generic wine yeast. not sure of the name. i just went to the LHBS and asked for something for sweet mead.

i assume that fermentation will finish when bubbling in the jar is done, and i'll leave it for 1 more week for yeast to settle. then rack it to another jar. let it clear another 2-3 weeks to clear and bottle with about 3 teaspoon of boiled honey/water for carbonation.

any suggestions? any idea how long it will take to ferment? i read the yeast nutrient will help speed up the fermentation and possibly stuck fermentation..

pete

Sometimes people who make beer thing mead is the same, or the same as wine.

Without nutrients, energiser or whatever you want to call it, it will be a long, torturous fermentation. Honey has loads of sugar but is very low in nutrients that the yeast need.

The best place to look for mead guidance is Gotmead, their forums have a newbie guide that should give you all the guidance you might need in the early stages........

Back