First mead making question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie69

Reaction score
I'm going to make mead before I make my first cider.I have a yeast question.The brew supply company that I went to sold me a liquid yeast( Whitelabs WLP720 sweet mead wine yeast). I want to add a nutrient,(which I forgot to buy). All the videos I've watched and instructions I've read only goes in detail about dry yeast,do I premix the liquid yeast with the other ingredients or do I pitch it right into the must after or before the nutrients? Also,is there anything else I should add other than nutrients? the honey I'm using is "Olde Dutch Jams Pure Orange Blossom Honey" It doesn't say if it's pasteurized or not. I'm looking to make a sweet or semi-sweet mead.

1. Adding liquid yeast directly should be fine. I use White Labs for beer all the time. The pre-mixing you're talking about is probably re-hydrating dried yeast to make sure it's still viable. Just make sure that the yeast is up to room temp, and the must is below 90 F so you don't cook the yeast.

2. Yes, add nutrient. This is especially important for show meads, which have no fruits/spices/stuff to provide nutrients. I guess some people add nutrient in three additions throughout the fermentation process. Maybe look into this?

3. Pasteurized or un-pasteurized honey probably won't make a difference.

4. Remember: people have been doing this for thousands of years, with far less advanced tech than we have now. It's kind of hard to completely FUBAR this. It might not turn out more fantastic as you ever could have imagined it would be. but it will probably be pretty good.

Unpasterized honey will give you more subtle aromas and flavors you miss out on with pasturized. Also don't boil your honey once again that destroys the subtleties in the honey. I brew all my mead from room temp. No heating at all.

Back