First Mead Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just brewed my first batch of mead and it had been sitting on the shelf in bottles since march 15. I started the batch on January 20th (I stopped fermentation before and added pot sorb and sod meta) While it's been in the bottles i was told to maybe check them out from time to time to see how they tasted. (now i know that it will take a while to age) But my mead is VERY yeasty. I was wondering if that is something i can plan to filter out or that that will go away over time. Let me know thanks!

Hi KINGxintheNorth - and welcome. My understanding is that the yeasty taste likely comes from under-pitching the yeast (ironic, ain't it?). Since you don't say what the starting gravity was, the finishing gravity, the volume, the yeast pitched, or your protocol, it's a little difficult to say very much else except that unless this was a session mead bottling after two months seems a little premature. Yeast need a little time to clean up the mess they make during fermentation...

Back