First mead attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

syst3mfailur3

Reaction score
I plan on trying my hand at a 1 gallon batch of mead tomorrow, and just wanted some advice. I plan on just making a simple batch, nothing fancy.

I've got 1.35kg of plain store bought honey, a 5g pack of EC-1118 yeast, spring water, and some raisins. I don't have yeast nutrient or energizer, so I was going to use the raisins instead as I've read that they would server that purpose. Is that right? If so, should I use what JAOM recipe says, and use about 25?

Last question, how soon should I rack it?

Ok, so the raisins will help. Doesn't have to be exactly 25 a small handful is fine.

Your other alternative is to boil or microwave (I prefer boiling) a couple or 3 teaspoons of bread yeast in 100mls of water-just bring it to the boil then simmer gently for 2 or 3 minutes then cool. If theres a local chemist, some vitamin B1 tablets (1 or 2 per gallon) can also help.

If youve got a gallon jug with a narrow neck you're best placed mixing the whole gallon up but then removing a couple of pints (keep in a soda/pop bottle in the fridge) so theres some good airspace, once the ferment has been going for a week then you should be fine to add backthe reserved portion slowly (bring back to room temp first). If a bucket then fine.

Racking ? Meh! I'd just leave it till the fruit drops to the bottom.

Oh and check out the front page over at gotmead forums, the left side yellow links box has their "NewBee guide"......a very good plave for info for the new mead maker.......

Also, a bench mark JAO will be ready much sooner than a traditional....

Back