First lager with cali lager. Sugestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ldtagtrip

Reaction score
Hi there, im looking forward to brew a beer as close to lager as possible, do you have any sugestions? In my research i found many styles of lager and some have interested me loke helles, bohemian and european lager. Thank you.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

I'm assuming you have California lager yeast (WY2112).

Do you have a fermentation chamber/fridge, to control ferment temperatures? If not, you might struggle to brew a good lager.

Like you said, there are lots of great styles of lager: helles, oktoberfests and vienna lagers would be my favourites. Are you wanting a rich malty lager, a bitter lager, or a pale easy drinking BMC style lager?

Yes im using california lager from wyeast. Forgive my post it isnt detailed.
I dont have a chamber and i use a bucket with ice to keep the temperature but the fluctiation on the temp is hugh.
I want to try to brew a simple as clean as i can lager. I had one failure and one successiful attempt.
Im thinking bohemian pilsener, touch of wheat and touch of carapils? I will try to keep the temp at 50 to 55.
I also heard about the wyeast 1007 for altbeer which is very clean on esters. Thank you for any suggestions.

Without a fridge, you can't make a true lager (lagers need to be stored at or near freezing for a period of time). There are posts on this site though where people have made solid lagers with Nottingham ale yeast and US05, fermented at low temperatures (see the cream of three crops recipe). Also, you can make steam beer with the cali lager yeast. You could also look at using kolsch yeast (the whitelabs version seems more popular). THis is how brulosopher (google his name if you haven't heard of him) makes all of his 'lagers'.

What part of the country are you in? I've had lots of success with garage/patio lagering if you timing is right.

Latest posts

Back