First lager - didnt make a starter - now what?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a pretty bold general statement. A lot of conventional wisdom has been and continues to be debunked. I think most agree the method he used was not ideal, but stating that there is a single best approach for every lager regardless of equipment and desired characteristics is a stretch.

It's not bold at all. It's the way the best lagers in the world have been made for at least 100 years.

Please point me to how this has been de-bunked, but don't bother if you're going to send me a link to some dude's blog who fermented one lager warm and his friends couldn't pick it out in a triangle test. :rolleyes:

It's not bold at all. It's the way the best lagers in the world have been made for at least 100 years.

Please point me to how this has been de-bunked, but don't bother if you're going to send me a link to some dude's blog who fermented one lager warm and his friends couldn't pick it out in a triangle test. :rolleyes:

To the average brewer who is brewing beer just for themselves, then what the hell does it matter if it's ever so slightly off?? If a guy who has a pretty good reputation and a solid exbeeriment and had multiple people test and couldn't pick it out in a triangle test, then why would that not be appropriate for a guy who is brewing for himself? Personally I have done both lagering methods, and I can't tell the difference at all.
I've read plenty of articles about solid temperature control will greatly reduce turnover time in lager with hardly if not any side effects

OP: how'd your beer turn out?

It's been in the keg at 35° for about 11 days now. I don't pick up any buttery diacetyl flavors but it does taste very green still. I have had a problem with acetaldehyde in two of my first three beers but haven't tasted it in quite some time. I hope it passes with time. I'll taste again in three weeks and see what happens. Or would it be better to raise the temp, up to 75 or so to boil off the acetaldehyde, then purge the keg with C02 and repressurize?

Personally I think just wait a few weeks and see how it is. I wouldn't say I'm an expert with lagers (I've made 4 of them), but being patient with them is always better.

I just made a märzen and decided to enter it in a competition after brewday, however, I had to rush it and I honestly don't think it will score very well because it's just not old enough. Patients will always help beers and particularly with lagers.

Keep us updated I am curious to see how this goes for you

Back