First Kolsch and Lagering questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thantos

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,
So I finally am going to try and make a lager, I have selected a Kolsch recipe from MLHBS. Using a partial mash kit to keep it simple, recipe is below.

My questions are;
1) Since this style ferments at a warmer temp is a large yeast starter needed?
2) I plan on using to vials of the WLP029 in a 2L flask on a stir plate, is this overkill?
3) What temp should I ferment at, is it better to be closer to 55 or 60, or does it matter? Seems there are a lot of opinions on this....
4) How long at the 55-60 for primary?
5) How long and at what temp for a secondary?
6) At what point should I drop the temp to start lagering?
7) At what temp and for how long to lager?
8) Really looking for that crisp clean floral/fruity flavor, is there anything else I should add ingredients wise to get that?
9) Because of the extracts would a 90 min boil with the first addition at 60 mins be a bad idea?

Sorry if its a lot of questions, just seems to be a lot of confusing info/opinions out there on lagering?

5 Gallon Batch

Malt Extracts
4lbs German Pilsner
2lbs Light DME
4oz Maltodextrin

Steeping Grains
8oz Crystal 15L

Hops
1oz Perle @ 60 mins - Bittering
1oz Saaz @ 1 min - Aroma

Clarifying
1 Whirlfloc tablet @ 5 mins

O.G. - 1.042 - 1.044
SRM - 5.5
IBU's - 18-25
ABV - 4%
Suggested Fermentation Temp - 55-60 F

Yeast
WLP029 German Ale/ Kölsch Yeast

Thanks in advance !!!

A kolsch is not a lager- it's considered a hybrid style- but the WLP029 is an ale yeast.

From White Labs' website:
Attenuation
72-78%

Flocculation
Medium

Optimum Ferment Temp.
65-69°F, 18-20°C (Does not ferment well less than 62°F, or 16°C, unless during active fermentation)

Alcohol Tolerance
Medium

So, I'd ferment at 65 until done and then I'd keg it and lager in the keg for a couple of weeks.

I don't see any reason for a 90 minute boil with extract beer.

First off you have an ale yeast no need for lagering.
1) I always use a starter with liquid yeast but a large one...nah. Use mrmalty.com Yeast Tools to figure pitching rate.
2) 1 vial is plenty especially if making a starter
3)With this particular ale strain I've had good luck fermenting at 58 for 5-7 days then slowly ramping up to 68-70 for another 4-7 days.
4)no secondary
6)no need
7)no worries here
8) totally up to you. I would use a fruitier hop.
9)i always added my extracts toward the end of my boils and if you choose to as well. Make sure to adjust for hop utilization. Except this is a lot of extract. 90 min boil isn't really necessary unless using Pilsner malt and even then if you have a good boil it may not be all that necessary to drive off DMS.

Looks good all in all I love this style. Especially during the summer.

I make a lot of Kölsch using 029 and like the way it turns out best when fermented at 58 deg. If your looking for a good balance of fruity esters don't use too large of a starter. One vial in 1000-1200ml of 1.040 wort is, in my experience, just about the right size starter. Too large a pitch and the beer will loose a good deal of those fruity aromas your after. Try to stay closer to 18-20 IBU of a good noble hop which is less likely to step on the malt sweetness and fruity esters. As for time in the primary, I find 2 weeks is just about right to give the yeast time to clean up the faint acetaldehyde and acetates your nose will detect early on in the ferment. Also crystal malts and their flavors aren't really true to style and will, in my opinion overpower the delicate flavor of Kölsch. It's actually a very easy beer to make if you keep it simple.

I made a rye kolsch last year and I re pitched WL 029, but I had let the yeast sit out without refrigeration and it wouldn't kick off so I tossed in a re pitch of some SF lager yeast, it took off fast and it came out pretty good. Just something to try since you are in the SF area. Good luck!

The last extract batch I brewed was in 1986 so I may not be the best person to give you advice there... but I'd just use 100% pils extract in my malt bill and call it simple and delicious.

Is there another grain you would substitute, if so what and how much?

:mug:

Personally, I would remove the crystal. Might add a little Munich or Vienna for a little more malt character. That's about it. A little cara-foam wouldn't hurt as well.

I'd drop the crystal altogether. Kolsch's are pale an should not be sweet. Mashing 5% white wheat and some pilsner malt (love Global Kolsch malt) @ 152F for 30 minutes may improve flavor. And them you would have a partial mash. Otherwise just roll with strictly Pilsner extract. 8 oz of honey added at flameout can also be quite tasty.

Although it is a hybrid yeast, lagering between 35 and 40F for 2-3 weeks can help drop out some yeast and crisp it up. Kolsch yeast is stubborn and likes to stay in suspension. Cheers!

Two vials of yeast are not needed (unless they are both really old/poorly stored). One vial and an appropriately sized starter with a hybrid pitch rate will work.

Secondary N/A

Package after fermentation is done and it can clear in the bottles/keg. Store bottles cold once bottle carbonation is done.

Even with cold-crashing and gelatin in the primary this took a few weeks to clear to brilliant gin-clear. Well worth the wait. A cloudy Kolsch is not good IMO

I've made one Kolsch. Based my recipe off this great recipe, with a few minor changes.

Fermented at 60F with a ramp at the end to 68F prior to cold-crash.

My experience with Kolsch is one brew. Turned out nice though. I'm not experienced by any means.

I would delete the crystal and maltodextrin. It is a very delicate beer. The floral notes are very subtle and will be lost to the crystal flavors. I'm not sure the added body that Maltodextrin will bring to the table is a good idea. It is a very crisp light bodied style.

Hope your able to make sense of all the differing opinions. I'm sure you'll end up with a tasty Kolsch

Back