First Kegging System

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
So I'm getting a bit tired of being a bottle klepto and scrubbing 40-50 bottles every batch of beer. I am looking to get into kegging 5 gal batches with a 1-2 keg starter kit.

Are there any websites that have especially good deals that Include kegs and a regulator and a tank.

Refurbished is fine.

RiteBrew.com
BeverageFactory.com
KegConnection.com
BirdmanBrewing.com
Homebrewing.org
MidwestSupplies.com
AustinHomebrew.com

start there

Setting up a new kegging system is pretty pricey, though rewarding in the end. If you've got money to burn, then I'd say go ahead and purchase all the pieces you need online and build it yourself. Otherwise, you could probably find a used system on Craigslist.

I second the craigslist idea. You can at least get the fridge/keezer, Co2, lines, taps, regulator, etc. Even if it's a sanke system, all you'd need is to get soda-keg QD's and you're done.

I would talk to your local gas provider before buying a tank. Most of them do swaps on the 5 lb cylinders most of us use. So there's no point spending a lot of money on a shiny new aluminum model only to have it replaced with a rusty steel POS the first time you run the tank dry.

Also, if you buy from craigslist, make sure you check the hydro-test date on the cylinder. I think they're good for 5 years. If you swap 'em out with even a day left, you're OK, but if you bring in one that's expired, you have to pay for a new hydro.

Kegconnection.com is great. Try to get the cornys and gas tank from Craigslist (and maybe even a regulator). Then just get a two way manifold from kegconnection. When it comes time to upgrade to a four keg setup, just tee off each gas line. Easy.

Having just finished full conversion over to kegging (including building a keezer) I would recommend asking yourself the following questions:

1. How many different styles do you want on tap at a time?
  2. How much space are you allotting in your residence?
  3. Is there a local gas supply that you can easily run to when you run low?
  4. How do you plan on chilling the kegs?

There are more, I am sure, but when I first started I found out very quickly that my kegs required a whole different mindset of living (serving) than bottles.

Back