First Keg, Carbonation is low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrelsien

Reaction score
So I kegged a Kolsch about 3 weeks ago, it spent 10 days at room temp, then 2 weeks in the fridge, I've been waiting on a tap to come in the mail and it finally got here today. I am using the CO2 Chargers with 12g carts.

So I just poured the first brew and its... okay. the main problem is it tastes flat and doesn't have much head. I added the suggested amount of priming sugar, and I think 10 days was enough to carb.

I have a lot of those 12g carts left... can I force some carbonation into it using them? I don't have a regulator or CO2 tank yet... soon(maybe before this keg is even done).

If you used priming sugar and didn't seat the keg lid and seal with CO2, it's quite possible all the CO2 from the priming sugar leaked out. As far as the keg chargers go, they are pretty worthless for carbonating.

I'm pretty sure I sealed it well. I cracked one of the cartridges and gave it a few squirts, seemed to add enough pressure. I just wish I had the tank and regulator...

If I add a whole nother cartridge and rock the keg on the floor for a little while and then check in a few days will this help?

if not,

When I do get my CO2 tank and regulator can I then add more carbonation? even if say 1/5 is gone?

I don't need it to be perfect, just a little more carbonation and I would drink it, but as is... its just not good. :(

The little keg charger isn't going to give much CO2. I wouldn't waste it trying to carb the beer. In my experience it takes two of them to dispense a keg and even then, it's a stretch. I can't imagine trying to carbonate a 5 gallon keg with one.

No, don't waste the cartridges. Their barely sufficient for dispensing.

_

Back