First Keg and CO2 problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickbones14

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Kegged first brew last yesterday afternoon. Had the psi up to 20 and everything seemed to be going fine when i went to bed. Woke up to an empty CO2. My gut tells me the CO2 was low and it ran out on its own, hoping i didn't have a leak.

Long story short, my CO2 refill shop isn't open on Sundays so I won't be able to refill until tomorrow after work.

Is my beer fine sitting in keg locked up until then?
Is there any thing i should do?
Is my keg F---ed?

Thanks!

Your beer is fine! (perhaps a little flat)

Mix up some soapy water or star san to find the leak

Your keg might have a leak, but that's fairly uncommon. likely a line or connection. I'm sure you'll find it.

Thanks guys! Put me at ease. I thought I checked for leaks but maybe not as throughly as I could have.

If the tank was light to begin with, would 20 psi eat it up?

Do you find quick carbing uses more CO2 than normal?

The C02 has nowhere to go but in solution or in the air (leak/purge/bubbles in beer). Just don't quick carb too long so you won't get gushing beer.

Pick up some keg lube and coat all the o rings if you have not already done so. Then ensure all the hose connections are tight as well. I am sure you will find the leak and don't worry your beer should be fine.

Back