first Irish red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkychef

Reaction score
Im trying to make a easy Irish red recipe with what I can get or have on hand
My only problem is I can only get my hands on us-05 s-04 or lager yeast and I dont have the means to deal with lager yeast and have never used it. as ive only been brewing for 10 months.

Does my recipe look ok would you tweek it in any way or is it a good place to start?

This is my recipe
(Irish Red Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.050 (°P): 12.4
Final Gravity (FG): 1.013 (°P): 3.3
Alcohol (ABV): 4.91 %
Colour (SRM): 14.5 (EBC): 28.6
Bitterness (IBU): 19.3 (Average)

90% Pale Ale Malt
8% Crystal 60
2% Black Roasted Barley

0.6 g/L Northern Brewer (10.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

0.1 g/L Irish Moss @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 67°C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 18°C with Safale S-04

Your grist looks good. (No Munich. Never Munich. That's an Alt, people.) (Sorry. Pet peeve.)

I know the IBUs are within range, but I always like a little more bitterness, either from the hops or the roast, in an Irish Red. That's a personal taste thing, though. S-04 looks like it should be fine.

Thank you. I like Irish reds but never brewed one but got a sack of English pale ale malt the other day and have some left over RB from a stout and thought this could work. Ive only brewed mostly the same thing trying to refine it and have a great house beer and not too far from a winner.

Can you pick up some oats for a little slick mouth feel? Even grocery store oats are good.

I would mash higher, maybe the C equivalent of 156.

Back