First Irish Red Local Competetion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlangfo5

Reaction score
Hey guys! I plan on brewing my first Irish Red Ale for a local bjcp certified competition! I read the description on the BJCP guidelines, and I came up with this recipe below.

Aroma: Low to moderate malt aroma, generally caramel-like but occasionally toasty or toffee-like in nature. May have a light buttery character (although this is not required). Hop aroma is low to none (usually not present). Quite clean.

Appearance: Amber to deep reddish copper color (most examples have a deep reddish hue). Clear. Low off-white to tan colored head.

Flavor: Moderate caramel malt flavor and sweetness, occasionally with a buttered toast or toffee-like quality. Finishes with a light taste of roasted grain, which lends a characteristic dryness to the finish. Generally no flavor hops, although some examples may have a light English hop flavor. Medium-low hop bitterness, although light use of roasted grains may increase the perception of bitterness to the medium range. Medium-dry to dry finish. Clean and smooth (lager versions can be very smooth). No esters.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light to medium body, although examples containing low levels of diacetyl may have a slightly slick mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Smooth. Moderately attenuated (more so than Scottish ales). May have a slight alcohol warmth in stronger versions.

Overall Impression: An easy-drinking pint. Malt-focused with an initial sweetness and a roasted dryness in the finish.

Comments: Sometimes brewed as a lager (if so, generally will not exhibit a diacetyl character). When served too cold, the roasted character and bitterness may seem more elevated.

Ingredients: May contain some adjuncts (corn, rice, or sugar), although excessive adjunct use will harm the character of the beer. Generally has a bit of roasted barley to provide reddish color and dry roasted finish. UK/Irish malts, hops, yeast.

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.044 – 1.060
IBUs: 17 – 28 FG: 1.010 – 1.014
SRM: 9 – 18 ABV: 4.0 – 6.0%

So Here it is:

OG----------------FG----------------IBU--------SRM--------ABV
1.044 - 1.060 1.010 - 1.014 17 - 28 9 - 18 4.00 - 6.00

Ingredient Name-----------------Amount
Crisp Maris Otter-----------------40 lbs, 0 oz
Weyermann Cara Red ®--------10 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Roasted Barley-------------1 lbs, 0 oz
Kent Goldings, UK Pellets --------7 oz @ 60 mins
SAFALE S-04------------------------2 ea
The goal is for the beer to be simple and Delicious! What do you guys think? Does the grain bill look right for an Irish Red?

25 gallons actually! How would you recommend that I get the SRM up to the level that I want it? More roasted barley with less cara red? What could happen from me using to much cara red, what kind of flavor does it impart?

Glad to see someone else from TN on here btw! :)

Just curious - why experiment with a 25 gallon batch? Why not use a smaller batch like 3 or 5 gallons?

It's because it takes the same amount of time to brew a 5 gallon batch as does it a larger batch for the most part, and for me any my partner, time is much more valuable than the grain or hops. Plus, our set up is equipped to handle those larger volumes.

How about something like this:

45lbs Maris Otter
2.5lbs Crystal 80
2.5lbs Crystal 40
1lb Roasted Barley
4.5 oz Perle (8%) @ 60 minutes
WLP004 - irish ale

Should come out 1.055 25 IBU and 15 SRM.

Good luck and keep us posted.

I will keep you guys posted for sure! Do you care to explain what you imagine you'd get out of using crystal 80 and crystal 40 in combination? How would you describe your experiences with Perle hops? It's not traditionally found in many UK beers.

Back