First IPA with Columbus hops - critique please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
6 gallon batch
13 pound two row
1 pound vienna
12 oz C40
8 oz victory
4.8 %AA cascade hops
14.5%AA Columbus hops
mash at 150
pacman, WLP007 or WLP001 (haven't made up my mind, but thinking 007)
OG = 1.065 or so.....

1/2 cascade FWH
1/2 columbus FWH
1/2 cascade @60
1/2 columbus @60
1/2 cascade @20
1/2 columbus @20
1/2 cascade @10
1/2 columbus @10
1 oz columbus dry hop
1 oz cascade dry hop

Experimenting with using no whirlpool addition this time.......going for heavier hop flavor and smooth bitterness from kettle additions, and primary aroma from the dry hop. Not sure, but I think the IBU will be in the 55-60 range...should be a somewhat balanced IPA.....

Any advice? This is my first shot at using columbus, but I love a huge, dense, stanky hop aroma.

I used Columbus in a Pale Ale that has been in the bottle for 2 weeks now. First taste last night...dang good!

I used Columbus in a Pale Ale that has been in the bottle for 2 weeks now. First taste last night...dang good!

I have heard great things. Personally I find cascade alone to be a little subdued for IPA, and much prefer the much "sharper" centennial. I am hoping that columbus proves to be a nice sharp, aromatic hop....

That does sound good. I'm trying to think of a good way to put use to my Millennium(cross between Nugget and Columbus) and Nugget hops, other than just using them for bittering, and was considering doing an IPA also. Not really familiar with any of them. I'd love to hear how your Cascade/Columbus comes out.

That does sound good. I'm trying to think of a good way to put use to my Millennium(cross between Nugget and Columbus) and Nugget hops, other than just using them for bittering, and was considering doing an IPA also. Not really familiar with any of them. I'd love to hear how your Cascade/Columbus comes out.

I know it is a high AA hop, but I thought Milennium was classified as a an aroma hop.

I have some too, but not used any yet. Probably add some Cent in with it.

I know it is a high AA hop, but I thought Milennium was classified as a an aroma hop.

I have some too, but not used any yet. Probably add some Cent in with it.

That sounds like a good recipe! Millennium for bitt, aroma & dry hop - centennial for flavor!

I love Colombus in a late aroma or dry hop use.

Did an Oscar blues Gordon clone with 4oz of colombus at 20 minutes and it's amazing (drinking one right now)

I use Columbus almost exclusively now in all my ales. got a tip from a microbrewery. Decide your AA profile, and calulate it from there. It's fantastic for dry hopping. I'll be planting some columbus Rhizomes in a couple of months, so I can have an ample supply on hand.

Columbus rocks for IPAs...your hop schedule looks similar to that of an Hop Ottin clone i've brewed before...for me, I'd throw in a whirlpool addition of Columbus alone.

The 007 is excellent, but I've found it does cover up the hop profile a bit...001 would allow all that dankness to come through nice and clean. I did a split batch comparison with the two strains and the 001 had much better hop flavor and aroma.

it'll be delicious either way...good luck :mug:

I think the Columbus hops will completely overpower the Cascade hops. You may want to consider moving the Cascade additions to the end of your boil/dry hop. I recently brewed a similar batch using Simcoe and Cascade. It tasted very similar to a Simcoe smash I made.

Back