First ipa brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitz87

Reaction score
I ended up putting centennial 1 oz start of boil, 1 oz of cascade at 60 min, .5 oz of centennial at 30 and 15 min. I have a 1 oz of cascade left should I dry hop it or let it be and how do I do that. I also thought of adding raspberryies in secondary any thoughts on that?

I also I have a beer in secondary lagering, how long should a person typically lager a beer?

I ended up putting centennial 1 oz start of boil, 1 oz of cascade at 60 min, .5 oz of centennial at 30 and 15 min. I have a 1 oz of cascade left should I dry hop it or let it be and how do I do that. I also thought of adding raspberryies in secondary any thoughts on that?

I also I have a beer in secondary lagering, how long should a person typically lager a beer?

That's a lot of bittering hops, even for an IPA. You've got 2.5 oz of hops for bittering, and only .5 oz for flavor it looks like. You definitely do not have enough flavor and aroma hops in the beer to be an IPA, although it should be very bitter due to the large amount of bittering hops. It's too late now, but next time use the hops at more like 60/15/5/dryhop instead of most of them before 15 minutes left in the boil.

You will definitely need to dryhop this, but the idea of raspberries throws me off a lot. Raspberries are very tart once fermented, and a fruity and bitter tart beer really doesn't sound good at all.

For lagers, a common rule of thumb is to lager for one week for every 8-10 points of OG. So, for a 1.065 OG lager, that would be 7-8 weeks or so. That's not written in stone, of course, but it's a good place to start.

In my opinion, I'd just stick to the basics and not add the raspberries. I'd try to get the ipa style down before you start experimenting. But that's just me.
I'd use that to dry hop. You won't be adding any bitterness and you'll just add aroma to balance out the bitterness of the hops, since most of the hops you added will be giving good amounts of bitterness due to boil time.

Also, is it a 5 gallon batch? How long did you boil for?
What other styles have you done before?

But it sounds like it will be a solid ipa if everything else turns out!!
Cheers!!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

This is a 5 gallon I boiled for 80 min. I used 8 lbs ESB 2 lbs Munich 1 lbs wheat .5 lb carastan and a .5 lb melanoidin. I have done a brown ale kit a Eliot ness clone and then this IPA. I must of missed the difference between bitter hops and flavor/aromatic hops.

80 min seems like a pretty long boil for lack of flavoring hops.
Anything under 25-20 min will give mostly flavor with small amount of bitterness and some aroma.
Anything over 30 will be pretty much all bitterness from the hops and anything under 10-5 minutes will be mostly aromatic but also contribute to the flavor. This is what I go by when making an ipa, or IIPA.
You'll find that adding hops at 10 minutes will give you different hop profiles than adding them at flameout, but both won't contribute to heavily if at all to bitterness.
With all this being said I don't think your beer is going to come out messed up. It will probably pretty decent and you'll be surprised how clean of an ipa you can make at home. It might be a tad bitter but use it as a baseline for next time.
This is personal preference but I don't boil my IPAs for longer than 60 minutes, and I've never had a problem with it lacking bitterness. I usually do one or two additions before the 25-20 minute mark and then do big additions after that and dry hop the crap out of it with around 2-4 oz. even 5 oz at times.
Again, this is all personal preference and how I've done it to get it to my Tastes.
Would be interested in seeing how it comes out. Post back when you take the first taste un-carbonated and carbonated.

Thanks for the feedback I found a hops chart and Ibu calculator this should help. The calculation shows to be about 80 Ibu, double Ipa range. I will definitely dry hop it with the cascade then. If I ferment for 3 weeks and dry hop it for 5 days, it should be ready to go after that. Is a secondary good for this or would I lose hop aroma in secondary?

You wouldn't lose any hop aroma if you dry hop in the secondary.
I actually started a thread a few months back about how long was too long to dry hop and 5 days seems right from the responses I got. Although I've known people to dry hop for close too 2 weeks.
I'm sure your aware but there are some really helpful dry hopping videos on YouTube which helped me through my dry hopping process. I think you'll realize, as I have, that dry hopping only helps and ipa become more aromatic, which really effects the way we perceive the taste.

Latest posts

Back