First infected batch (and it's a doozy...)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantose

Reaction score
Well, ran out of propane part way through the boil. I figured "well, might have to do something to bitter it when I keg"

Well, alpha acid conversion was the least of my worries. Something managed to survive the boil and soured it all.

The worst part, it was my first 25 gallon bulk batch. :(

On the up side, bulk batches are considerably cheaper so I'm only out $75.

what happened when you ran out? Did you cool it and pitch? Let it sit there for a while?

Unless you only boiled for a REALLY short time I don't know if that's what I'd blame. Most common critters are finished by even 190F.

what happened when you ran out? Did you cool it and pitch? Let it sit there for a while?

Transfered to 5 different sanitized 5 gal fermenters. Tasted each and it seems to be the same infection in each (was hoping it was just one, then maybe just two, then maybe one had dodged it) Hence why I'm sure it was the boil.

Hard way to learn to always have a backup tank just-in-case. But like dwarven said, check your downstream. Might be time to tear down your ball valves, pump if you got one, and get new hoses.

[soapbox]
lots of mentions lately of distilling.

Keep it off these boards, please. Distilling is illegal, and we don't want this site to be taken down because of people talking about it.
[/soapbox]

IF it is infected, it is not because of a short boil. Look at your sanitation regimen after the boil. Why do you consider it infected?

IF it is infected, it is not because of a short boil. Look at your sanitation regimen after the boil. Why do you consider it infected?

sour taste, odd skim on top of one bucket. Wort flowed through 1 ball valve at the bottom of the boil kettle directly into fermentation vessels. First use of the ball valve.

Here here ! I had my first 10 g batch taste like the devils taint... I think I grossly under pitched.. I think the beer gods want us to do 5 gallon batches, but well outsmart them !!!

Here's my plan for next round:
1. Soak everything in bleach.
2. Get extra propane
3. figure out a good cap for ball valve

I'm also thinking of fermenting in the kettle next time. It's got a cap that should seal well enough (need to ensure it doesn't seal TOO well actually). That should, hopefully, help minimize places where an infection can be introduced. I'll boil, seal it hot, run water though interior piping (re-purposed heat exchanger water tank).

Back