First Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlittle29

Reaction score
Ok all, i just picked up everything i need to make my first immersion chiller. I was wondering if you had any tips or tricks that will make shaping the copper, or any other part of making this thing any easier?

I shaped mine around a corny keg. The key is to go slow so that you don't kink anything.

What size copper tubing and how long is it? Also, is it in a coiled roll?

Here is one way:

DSC01357-w.JPG

i made one of the "ribcage" style. i just used a 1 gallon paint can. just go slow to avoid kinks. once you have a kink you are screwed. it will have to be cut out and then you have to add a collar or something to rejoin the cut ends. that is why everyone is saying take your time and go slow.

I bent mine around my bottling bucket. I recently read something about soldering it in order to prevent the slinky-ness. I haven't tried it, but I'm strongly considering it.

I was thinking about using copper wires and a crimper to try and stabalize it. I was going to weave the wire through in 4 equally spaced sections (like i saw at my LHBS), maybe even use dowles until it hardens to try and spread the distance between tiers to an even spacing (1/2", 3/8" somewhere around there)

I used an 8" quick tube also. It worked great. I taped one end to the tube to get started. Having an extra set of hands helps a lot too.

i made one of the "ribcage" style. i just used a 1 gallon paint can. just go slow to avoid kinks. once you have a kink you are screwed. it will have to be cut out and then you have to add a collar or something to rejoin the cut ends. that is why everyone is saying take your time and go slow.

This is what I did too.... Ribcage FTW. Quick, easy and no soldering if ya dont get kinked tubing.

The real key is to NOT try to straighten the copper tubing. That will harden the pipe. You only get one chance to form it correctly. Form the chiller from the tubing coil. Wrap it as closely as you can and then when finished, you can spread the coils as you wish.

For 3/8" tubing, you only need about 25 feet to reach equilibration. So with a 50' coil one can build 2 chillers.

Just saying...

Back