First hydro reading low...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrewer

Reaction score
Just took my first hydro reading on my first LME brew that is fermenting. I did not take a SG (did not have a hydro). The brew is 4 days in the primary, bubbling has slowed down considerably over the past day, and already the gravity is at 1.015. Does this seem weird to anyone else, or am I doing something wrong? I tasted it and it tastes very bitter and yeasty. please help.

here is the list:
Cincinnati pale ale
4 lb coopers LME IPA
2lb amber malt extract
1 oz domestic nugget
1 oz domestic fuggles
Smack-A-Yeast liquid starter, Abby Yeast..?

PS. the liquid yeast did not take off right away (i might have pitched it while the wort was a little hot....) so I repitched with a rehydrated yeast packet that was on the cooper can. It took off over night after the 2nd pitch.

actually it tasted pretty good, and had a good aroma to it. I also have a secondary standing by to take the brew when its ready...

Leave your beer and yeast together in the same container for as long as you can stand it. Like next weekend would be good.

Wow, just relax, everything is as it should be. By the time you see the first bubble, the gravity is already dropping fast. It's not uncommon for the primary fermentation to be over in two days or less. HOWEVER, secondary fermentation is all about the yeast cleaning up after the party they just had. If you have the patience, let it sit in that fermenter for 2 or 3 weeks. If you don't have the patience leave it for one full week. Then transfer it to your "secondary" which is actually a clearing tank not a fermenter. RDWHAHB and if you don't have a HB just go get whatever beer you do have and quit worrying. that bitterness will mellow out in a couple weeks, and will be perfect in a month or two. Brewing takes a ton of patience, so spend your time figuring out what recipe to do next and quit poking at this brew till it's time.

lol, will do. Was planning on doing the 1-2-3, and putting it into a secondary after a week+.

Save yourself some time, avoid infection and make a better, consistent beer - do 3-3. Leave it in your primary for 3 weeks then bottle it. I only use secondaries now for beers I'm bulk conditioning for several months and leave them in the primary for 4-8 weeks before racking to the secondary.

GT

Back