First house first plants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamdillabo

Reaction score
Finally moved into a cute little ranch my wife loves with a 2 story brewery/bar I love.

Starting off in pots because I wasn’t sure where I wanted to put them just knew I wanted to get something in the ground so I have a better crown next year. Soil is a custom mix. 35% manure 35 peat moss 20% vermiculite 10% sand. Stays moist but never muddy.

Growing 4 varieties in south east VA.

Cascade
Magnum
Nugget
Sorachi ace.

Any predictions how these will do in the humid hot summers?

Have them on a drip irrigation system 10 mins in the morning then again in the evening. Will up this as it gets warmer and the plants get bigger.

The plants start to see sun around 10 am. And loose it around 4:30. As they grow they will stay in the light till dusk.

My main concern and reason for this post. I don’t think they are staked up right. Ideas?

Any other concerns or improvements please share.

Thanks

IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG

I used to grow hops in Texas which is hot and fairly humid. They grow ok in those conditions but you will probably fight off a lot of pests like aphids and spider mites. Basically anything that will consume vegetation will come for your hops.

Keep an eye on how hot those containers get during the summer. Those black containers will absorb heat and heat up the roots of the plants.

Thanks for the advice. The pots are made of a thick felt that’s supposed to be breathable and keep the pots cooler than traditional pots.

I’ll plant some marigolds around the base. They are supposed to keep aphids away and will provide some shade for the roots

If I were you, I'd just put them in the ground right next to the foundation. Less watering (I never water my hops, but the plants are 7ish years old) and not in the way. They will climb anything, so your lines are fine. They are a crazy hardy plant.

the lines look find to me. As long as they're secured on the pots and then at the top of your barn/shed you should be a-okay.

I'm in Northern Va, super humid and swampy during the summer, for sure! I'm in my 3rd year with no issues and I'm growing chinook, nugget, centennial and cascade.

Back