first fermentation bubble over?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattvig

Reaction score
The activity of my first day of fermentation was nuts and when I woke up it had bubbled up through the air lock and was all over the top of the bucket, I cleaned it and refilled the air lock and placed it back in the hole, is this bad? Shhould I let it air out?

Not bad at all. It means the yeast are having fun. Look into setting up a blowoff tube. I don't even use the "3 piece" or "S-bend" airlocks anymore. All I use are blowoff tubes now.

Gary

Not bad (to the contrary, it mean that the yeast are happy), but be careful - it it's bubbling out, you may end up with a beer-colored ceiling unless you go to a blowoff tube (at least while fermentation is vigorous).

Yup. I learned to start all fermentations with a blow off tube. I once awoke to a remake of "The Blob" slowly coming out the top of my airlock. Cheap insurance for a cleaner ceiling & happier spouse.

Back