First ever batch..did I screw it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sordfish

Reaction score
Howdy

Yesterday I brewed my first ever batch, Witbier extract kit. As it took me over 5 hours, there is room for improving my process.

Issue #1: My OG was 1.040. Instructions showed 1.044 on the low end. I assume this is not that big of a deal? I did lose a little of the two row before steeping and I think I added a little too much water when bringing the total volume to 5 gals.

Issue #2: It took me over an hour to get the temp down to 78*; instructions said at 72* on the high side (my own fault). Since it took so long to get the temp down to 78*, I panicked about contamination and decided to pitch the yeast anyways. Currently the bucket is in the basement and the sticky thermometer says 66*.

Any issues with either of these newbie mistakes?

You're fine. 4 points of OG won't make much of a difference, especially for a new brewer. The yeast can survive much warmer temps, although it's not a great idea. RDWHAHB and let her sit in the primary for a few weeks minimum.

You'll be fine. In brewing, patience in your best friend.

Your OG reading was low, which might have been due to losing fermentables and adding too much water... and could also have been due to the fact that it's just about impossible to get full mixture of wort + water for an OG reading (unless you've done a full boil). Don't worry, the yeast will mix it thoroughly as fermentation happens. At the worst, your beer might be a tad low on alcohol... but 1.040 vs 1.044 isn't much of a difference, even if your reading was perfectly accurate.

Sure, you want to get cooler than that quicker than that, and yes, it's optimal to pitch your yeast at a little lower temp... but 78 degrees will hardly kill them.

You'll be fine, man. You made beer!

You're fine. 4 points of OG won't make much of a difference, especially for a new brewer. The yeast can survive much warmer temps, although it's not a great idea. RDWHAHB and let her sit in the primary for a few weeks minimum.

This. Missing the gravity by 4 points is not hard to do... mis-measure your volume by a few ounces and you can lose a few points right there. 78 is warm, but as long as it's down to 66 like you say for the bulk of the fermentation, it will be fine. Being a Witbier, I assume you used Belgian yeast. These guys generally like warmer temps and work well with them anyway.

I WILL say, though, that wort-chillers should be mandated by federal law...nothing like waiting an hour+ for the BK to chill in an ice-bath... :mad:

off by .004 is nothing, your OG reading is almost always wrong, mostly a general reference point. 5 hours is my total brew time for partial mash from cleaning everything to pitching and clean up so you're pretty much on par.

I have NEVER taken longer than 20 mins to ice bath a 3 gal wort to under 75, then adding it to 2 gals of 58* water brings me to a steady 66* to pitch at. was your wort temp 78* before or after adding your top off water?

oh thats warm. I guess you had no choice then, as long as you got the temp below 70* during that lag time (btw how long was lag?) you'll be alright. Next time if you're doing an ice bath, have a few pounds of ice on hand and always add SALT to your ice bath, stir the wort constantly with a sterile soup spoon (I have a paddle) and keep the water level at or higher than where the wort sits in the kettle, 20 mins or less, 212* to 75*

Back