First disaster brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munster51

Reaction score
The day started out well, crushed the grains yesterday for Ed's Robust Porter. Went to my buddy's yesterday and even got the new to me kettle all cut up and ready to brew for today.

Woke up this morning got everything out and setup. Problem #1, forgot to connect the bazooka screen in my mash tun, no big deal. I start scooping, get down to the bottom and finally get it in. Problem #2, I somehow end up with about 8 gallons in my Keggle. Another easy solution, I will just boil it down.
Not to bad, a couple of little issues.

Well, then my brewing partner, my Shiba Inu, decides he doesn't like the keggle so he jumps into it. And then the true disaster starts. Before I can take the 5 steps to it, keggle comes crashing down due to the weight of the keggle buckling my, cheapo Menard's, burner. As soon as I get the mess cleaned up I will post a nice beginning and end of my day photos. Luckily neither man nor his "best friend" were injured today.

I guess I can use this to justify a new burner to the wife.

So he jumped into it with the hot wort inside?

also you stuck your hand/arm into hot mash to connect the screen?

So he jumped into it with the hot wort inside?

also you stuck your hand/arm into hot mash to connect the screen?

LOL, no his dog jumped towards, thereby hitting, the keggle from what I'm gathering. And he said he scooped out the mash.

Rev.

If you want to feel better this is the worst expeince ive had:

I always liked Unibroue and tried harvesting their dregs without knowing they filter and carb with champagne yeast. Cut to me trying to ferment a big Belgian dubbel with it. Now cut to 1 week after bottling. ENTIRE BATCH of bottle bombs

I put on a leather jacket, safety googles and helmet, 2 pairs of jeans, and winter gloves and slowly moved them into a double wwalled cardboard box. They blew up one by one on my deck. I didnt go near that box for 15 months...

I was about 5 minutes into bring the wort to a boil, luckily it was not at a boil already.

I scooped all my grain out into a smaller pot and poured a good deal of hot, sticky, sugary liquid gold out as well.

image.jpg

Last edited:
As much as I would like to see pics from Munster's disaster day, a pic of m00ps in the hazmat bottling suit would be worth 2000 words

Wow! The leg on that burner folded like a taco. I have similar burners on my wood 3 tier brew stand. Maybe it's time to retire the wood and weld up something more industrial for safety. Having six gallons of boiling liquid flip over would be a major buzz kill.

Glad you wasn't brewing in the garage. That woulda been much worse. I use the Blichman burner without the legs. It's nice and low. Easy for stirring and adding hops. Glad nobody got hurt.

LOL, look how furtive the dog looks in the first pic. Hes already made his mind up about that kettle...

Wow, that is a bad day! Sorry to see that.

Now, I am no longer embarrassed by the overkill legs I welded up for my SQ-14. You can see the originals on the floor to the left in this picture.
This pic was taken before welding the burner to the stand, you can see the 1/4" thickness of the angle iron better that way. It may not be pretty but I would have to hit this thing with my truck to get it to do that.

BurnerMods.jpg

A Blichmann burner with leg extensions is pretty bullet proof. They rate it at 150 lbs but it could probably support 300.

Latest posts

Back