First custom IPA needs feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quentin

Reaction score
Long time lurking, first time posting. So here goes...

I've been brewing using pre-packaged extract ingredient kits, and I'm finally comfortable enough to try my hand at making something that I came up with on the fly. I love IPA's and I've come up with what I think would be a decent one for a first recipe without deviating too much out of the norm. I guess it's not really terribly original, but I'd appreciate any feedback you guys could have on this, or suggestions. Would more extract work better? Thanks in advance! :mug:

Here's what I'm planning on using:
- 7 lbs gold malt extract,
- 1 lb Cara 20L steeping grains,
- 1 oz Warrior pellet hops,
- 2 oz Simcoe pellet hops,
- 1 oz Citra leaf hops (for dry-hopping),
- Wyeast 1056

Cheers!

Long time lurking, first time posting. So here goes...

I've been brewing using pre-packaged extract ingredient kits, and I'm finally comfortable enough to try my hand at making something that I came up with on the fly. I love IPA's and I've come up with what I think would be a decent one for a first recipe without deviating too much out of the norm. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys could have on this, or suggestions. Would more extract work better? Thanks in advance! :mug:

Here's what I'm planning on using:
- 7 lbs gold malt extract,
- 1 lb Cara 20L steeping grains,
- 1 oz Warrior pellet hops,
- 2 oz Simcoe pellet hops,
- 1 oz Citra leaf hops (for dry-hopping),
- Wyeast 1056

Cheers!

You can make a nice IPA with what you have there. I'd probably cut the cara 20L in half, but otherwise that looks good. I'd use the warrior at 60 minutes for bittering and then use some of the simcoe (not all) for 15 minute and 0 minute additions. I'd use 1/2 ounce of the citra in the boil, at 5 minutes, and the other half for dryhopping.

Thanks for the quick response! I'll error on the side of caution and follow your advice on the hop timings - I wasn't quite sure when I was gonna add them except for the Warrior at the start.

Curious about why on cutting the Cara20 in half? I guess I was just going for the seemingly "standard" 1lb of steeping grains. Will it be a little too light with only 8oz?

Edit: (PS. Go Pack!)

Thanks for the quick response! I'll error on the side of caution and follow your advice on the hop timings - I wasn't quite sure when I was gonna add them except for the Warrior at the start.

Curious about why on cutting the Cara20 in half? I guess I was just going for the seemingly "standard" 1lb of steeping grains. Will it be a little too light with only 8oz?

Well, IPAs tend to have a solid malt backbone, but very little (or no) crystal malt sweetness. I use very little crystal, sometimes NO crystal, in my IPAs. A sweet cloying malt bill is not at all compatible with an IPA.

Looks like a good ingredient list, but what exactly are you planning to do with it? Hop quantity and timing? DME or LME? Late addition? Boil size? Using Simcoe and Citra can deliver a really nice taste, but be sure to save some for dry hopping like Yooper said. It would be nice to use at least a half oz of both for dry hopping.

Looks good! I think Yooper has the right idea, I would use that hop sched. The only thing I would do is dry hop a full ounce of citra (or half citra/simcoe). I always dry hop a minimum of an ounce of leaf hops for 7 - 10 days before bottling with IPA. Simcoe's grassyness and citras sweetness will be a really good combination. Just my thoughts, happy brewing!

Looks like a good ingredient list, but what exactly are you planning to do with it? Hop quantity and timing? DME or LME? Late addition? Boil size? Using Simcoe and Citra can deliver a really nice taste, but be sure to save some for dry hopping like Yooper said. It would be nice to use at least a half oz of both for dry hopping.

Here's what I'm gonna try after seeing feedback...

Going to follow Yooper's advice on cutting the Cara20 in half. All DME, boiling about 3 gallons (my boiling pot can only hold 4, so I top off with water in the primary). Going to toss the Warrior in for the full 60 minutes, then .5oz Simcoe at 30, .5oz Simcoe at 20, and .5oz of both Citra and Simcoe for the last 5 minutes of the boil and dry-hop.

I'll be sure to post results somehow, whether it be in the form of an ingredient list when it's complete, or just an update after having brewed it.

I suggest doing only 33%-50% of your DME up front then the rest at 15 minutes left in the boil. This will help to reduce carmelization in your partial boil. Also, possibly move back the 30 and 20 additions to, say, 20 and 10. The flavor or the simcoe will get a little lost in the 30 minute addition.

I suggest doing only 33%-50% of your DME up front then the rest at 15 minutes left in the boil. This will help to reduce carmelization in your partial boil. Also, possibly move back the 30 and 20 additions to, say, 20 and 10. The flavor or the simcoe will get a little lost in the 30 minute addition.

Will do. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Back