First cider, wild or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadfall

Reaction score
Okay so I have 11ish gallons of unpasteurized cider. So if I let the wild yeasts do their thing it can take a long time? I was hoping to bottle some for Christmas gifts. The rest I was going to keg. I'm just trying to figure if it makes sense to just let it go wild and do it's thing.

I'm reading one tablet of Campden per gallon to kill the wild yeasts. I have some Kmeta in powder form, is it the same. I'm thinking about using Nothingham because I have a few older packets that I should use soon before they expire. I also can get a ton of different wine yeasts locally.

I have some yeast nutrient is this something I should use.

I haven't taken a Specific gravity yet. I'll post that when I find out more.

dscn3422_opt-61202.jpg

I had this cider in Ireland last spring and have been trying to find out more about it but haven't been able to find out anything. I really liked it. Thanks again for any advice

I would recommend not using wild yeast. At least not to risk 11 gals. Add sugar till you got the SG you want. Id recommend 1.05 to 1.07. Pitch yeast and your off! If it was me i wouldnt mess with wild yeast. Wild yeast is tacky and unreliable. Use quality juice with quality yeast and quality sugar you get quality cider. Nuf said

Kmeta is not the same thing as Campden tablets, and Campden tablets do not kill, they stun so the introduced yeast can out compete.

I would recommend not using wild yeast. At least not to risk 11 gals. Add sugar till you got the SG you want. Id recommend 1.05 to 1.07. Pitch yeast and your off! If it was me i wouldnt mess with wild yeast. Wild yeast is tacky and unreliable. Use quality juice with quality yeast and quality sugar you get quality cider. Nuf said

Okay, that makes sense. I might just try 2 different yeasts so I can see what I end up with.

I first started winemaking, so just got used to Sulfides referred to as capdmen tablets. Then came here and was introduced to carbonating, and the Sorbate. I guess we both learned something today:)

I first started winemaking, so just got used to Sulfides referred to as capdmen tablets. Then came here and was introduced to carbonating, and the Sorbate. I guess we both learned something today:)

It's "sulfite". not sulfide. Sulfide is S2-, and a totally different substance.

Campden tablets have potassium metabisulfite or sodium metabisulfite as the active ingredient, along with some inert ingredients to make them in a convenient tablet form.

Normally, 1 campden tablet will give 50 ppm of free S02 but sometimes the dosage varies depending on manufacturer. Six campden tablets, crushed and dissolved, are roughly equal to 1/4 teaspoon of the k-meta (or Na-meta) powder.

Most people want to avoid the sodium metabisulfite if they are reducing their sodium intake, but otherwise they are equal.

Back