First Cider Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WTexan

Reaction score
I took a gravity reading yesterday for a batch of cider I made last week and was kind of surprised. When I spun my hydrometer in it stuck at 1.050'ish and had quite a bit of bubbles come up. However as I was standing and looking in amazement I noticed the hydrometer slowly sinking. Is that normal?

It may help to give the sample a good hard shake. I found that my samples are pretty carbonated and the bubbles stick to the hydrometer, making it float a little high. On my last sample I had to cap it with my hand, shake it multiple times, and then test to get a more accurate reading. Needles to say, I considered the sample contaminated by my hand, and had to use it as a taste test, rather than pour it back in.

stevetree said:
It may help to give the sample a good hard shake. I found that my samples are pretty carbonated and the bubbles stick to the hydrometer, making it float a little high. On my last sample I had to cap it with my hand, shake it multiple times, and then test to get a more accurate reading. Needles to say, I considered the sample contaminated by my hand, and had to use it as a taste test, rather than pour it back in.

Is this going to be typical occurrence?

You may need to give the sample a good shake to remove carbonation. I found that my samples were pretty bubbly and the bubbles were clinging to the hydrometer, giving me an incorrect reading. Spinning the hydrometer didn't help, so I ended up capping the sample with my hand, shaking the heck out of it and reinserting the hydrometer. I considered the sample contaminated by my hand and had to taste test it rather than add it back to the fermenter:)

Sorry about the double post, it said my reply didnt go through the first time. Oddly enough I've never heard anybody else mention this, but it seems to be happening to me each time.

stevetree said:
Sorry about the double post, it said my reply didnt go through the first time. Oddly enough I've never heard anybody else mention this, but it seems to be happening to me each time.

I just thought it was kinda of strange

Back