First cider, needing pointers to get back on track

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJayne

Reaction score
Hello all,
Firstly, disclaimer is that this is my very first batch and I am very much a noob in the brewing stages. The consuming I have not a problem!

I took an Instructable cider recipe, after a bit of looking around and googling

http://www.instructables.com/id/Home-Brew-Hard-Cider-from-Scratch/?ALLSTEPS

And roughly followed it, increasing the apple volume and taking notes as I went

Long story short, my 20.5 kgs of apples yielded some 13.5 litres of raw juice, which I then pasteurised by heating to somewhere between boiling and simmering (not particularly fussed about cloudiness). My yeast starter matured for about 36 hrs ( 1/3 jar hot juice, cooled to warm, 2tsp yeast nutrient, 2 tsp dextrose and a packet of EC1118 champagne yeast). The last batch I pasteurised had a kg of dextrose added to it to dissolve. I ran the pasteurised juice through a square of muslin (boiled to sterilise) and into my Carboy, let cool to room temp and pitched the yeast starter in, stirred vigorously and sealed. It was bubbling away quite madly within 12 hours.
Basic recipe, indeed.
OG was at 1.100, which I checked every two days.

I'm thinking due to the Instructable using imperial measurements and myself being accustomed to metric, and my increasing the quantities, I added too much dex compared to the quantity of juice I had haha

One week later, the gravity has appeared to have dropped to 0.993, which to me seems rather low but expected due to dex being completely Fermentable and in excess. The chick at my LHBS suggested it as opposed to raw sugar, which would've been my first choice. Anyways,

Does the current Sg seem okay? It is rather dry, strong alcoholic taste, almost wine like. From my hydro sample I added a tsp of sugar and let sit, tastes a bit better, but not like I'm used to (strongbow clear being my go-to.

It hasn't been racked at all yet,

Any suggestions as how to proceed from here?
Would like to deactivate the yeast and bottle, possibly carbonate half the batch.

Also, I googled a calculator to find out the approx alcohol volume and it put it at 14% or thereabouts! which seems rather high haha

Just general thoughts or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

P.S, that half cup I sampled from my hydro reading has knocked me for a six, perhaps 14% sounds spot on!

Wow- 1.100! How much sugar did you add to the cider? That's definitely apple wine, not cider, territory!

The only thing to do now is let it age. 14% will take a while to age out and come together so patience is a virtue here. Just rack to a new vessel whenever you have lees (sediment) 1/4 thick, or any lees at all after 60 days, and keep it topped up. Once it's completely clear and no longer dropping any lees at all, it can be stabilized, sweetened if desired, and bottled.

Wow- 1.100! How much sugar did you add to the cider? That's definitely apple wine, not cider, territory!

The only thing to do now is let it age. 14% will take a while to age out and come together so patience is a virtue here. Just rack to a new vessel whenever you have lees (sediment) 1/4 thick, or any lees at all after 60 days, and keep it topped up. Once it's completely clear and no longer dropping any lees at all, it can be stabilized, sweetened if desired, and bottled.

As I say, I miscalculated imperial to metric, and ratios, and added a kilo of dextrose to 13ish Litres.
I would describe the taste as wine/champagne dry, so maturing it to mellow sounds about right.

I will rack today then, should I continue taking the occasional SG reading? And by topped up, what do you mean there?
It is cloudy due to me boiling it during pasteurisation (don't mind cloudiness) , and I shall have to certainly sweeten it! It has a kick :)
So once all the yeast have completely done their thing and dropped out of it, only then it will be fine to process further?
Having said that, I've tasted worse commercial scrumpies

Thanks for your help!

As I say, I miscalculated imperial to metric, and ratios, and added a kilo of dextrose to 13ish Litres.
I would describe the taste as wine/champagne dry, so maturing it to mellow sounds about right.

I will rack today then, should I continue taking the occasional SG reading? And by topped up, what do you mean there?
It is cloudy due to me boiling it during pasteurisation (don't mind cloudiness) , and I shall have to certainly sweeten it! It has a kick :)
So once all the yeast have completely done their thing and dropped out of it, only then it will be fine to process further?
Having said that, I've tasted worse commercial scrumpies

Thanks for your help!

Once the wine is done (somewhere around .990-.992), it won't drop further so there is no point in further gravity readings. Being "topped up" means having no headspace in a carboy- it should be topped up to within an inch or two of the bung in a carboy of the correct size. Or a demijohn.

Once the wine is done (somewhere around .990-.992), it won't drop further so there is no point in further gravity readings. Being "topped up" means having no headspace in a carboy- it should be topped up to within an inch or two of the bung in a carboy of the correct size. Or a demijohn.
Ah, I see. I will have to buy a few demijohn in order to accommodate it,
Unexpected results from my first batch :-/ any suggestions for the next?

Latest posts

Back