First Cider Fermentation Nottingham yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barliman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am new to all of this. I am trying a one gallon batch of cider made with Whole Foods Cider, Nottingham yeast, and a three piece air lock.

I put the glass jug out in the garage where the temp fluctuates between 50 - 60 degrees. In the air lock I see about one bubble per 10 seconds. Everything seems to be going o.k.

I have read that a slower fermentation will produce a better tasting cider. At this rate I am guessing that it will be fermented to dryness in about 3-4 weeks, but I am just guessing. Also, I don't have the tool necessary to measure OG, but am just going to wait until there does not seem to be any more bubbling and then bottle to age for as long as I can wait.

I know this is general, but does this look like this will work?

Thanks everyone!

Notty will quit working at mid 50s temperature. Probably should keep it somewhere around 60 F.

I prefer to ferment on the cool side as well, but I'm not familiar with the temp requirements of Nottingham. Since you don't have a hydrometer, I would bring the cider into the house for a few days after you think fermentation is complete. The warmer temp may restart fermentation. You don't normally want to bottle partially fermented cider.

It sounds like you are planning on bottling as soon as fermentation ends and then letting it sit it the bottle. I would suggest letting it sit prior to bottling in order to allow it to clarify.

Thanks for the replies! I'm debating about whether to move it inside, although that will be about 68 degrees or so... Do you guys think that is still a decent temp for Nottingham fermentation?

Will leaving it outside if it is fermenting it that slowly harm it if I do bring it inside in a few weeks?

Thanks again for answering this noob's question!

Recommended range is 57-70 F. Cleaner ferment at lower temperatures, but doesn't really create too much at higher temps either. Bring ininside to 68 to make sure it ferments out.

Okay, I'll bring it in and we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice! I'll try to post after fermentation stops, or if anything weird happens. About three weeks ago I bought a half gallon of pasteurized apple juice from the grocery store, threw in an envelope of baker's yeast, and put a balloon on top. I bottled it in Grolsch bottles after fermentation stopped, and tried some last week. It was pretty good with some strange flavors. I called that a "success" and am now trying it with the above-mentioned upgrades. I am excited for this one. Better juice, better yeast, glass container, and real air-lock should hopefully equal better cider. I am going to bottle in beer bottles after fermentation is done.

Thanks again for the replies!

Okay, I'll bring it in and we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice! I'll try to post after fermentation stops, or if anything weird happens. About three weeks ago I bought a half gallon of pasteurized apple juice from the grocery store, threw in an envelope of baker's yeast, and put a balloon on top. I bottled it in Grolsch bottles after fermentation stopped, and tried some last week. It was pretty good with some strange flavors. I called that a "success" and am now trying it with the above-mentioned upgrades. I am excited for this one. Better juice, better yeast, glass container, and real air-lock should hopefully equal better cider. I am going to bottle in beer bottles after fermentation is done.

Thanks again for the replies!

I am also doing the store bought 100% apple juice with Nottingham yeast. How long did you wait to drink it after fermentation was complete?

Ultravista, The strange flavors were more like sulfur I think, but really not too bad.

Twelvebeer, I started the gallon jug on 12/11, and it is still going. Now that I moved it inside it is fermenting faster at about one bubble in the airlock every 3-4 seconds. I'll re-update if there is any change when I get home, and also when the fermentation seems to have stopped. I may get a hydrometer for Christmas, so that will help as well.

Do yourself a favour & spend the $5 for a hydrometer, you'll need one eventually anyway & it will save you from bottlebombs. I always wait till it's clear (in addition to hydro readings) to bottle; means less sediment in the bottle & just plain looks better. A bit of aging does wonders for cider too. Regards, GF.

I did a cider with fresh pressed apples and added metabisulfite waited 24 hours to settle and then pitched notty.fermented for a month and kegged.tasted it last week and it was sour and I do mean sour.Any tips on how to get some balance for sweetness

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I tried another bottle (I bottled in some Grolsch bottles) of my first attempt (literally a half gallon of generic store-brand apple juice with Fleischman's bread yeast and a balloon) and it was very decent. Incredibly clear, good taste, and slightly carbonated. If that stuff tastes this good I can't wait to try the Whole foods juice with Notttingham and a real airlock. It seems to be fermenting really slowly however.

Also, has anyone here bottled with a turkey baster, or is the siphon method the best?

Thanks!

Barliman, I used Nottingham yeast in my cider about 3 1/2 weeks ago. It bubbled fast for 2 weeks (every 3 seconds) and then just stopped quick. I am curious to see how long your airlock bubbles for. My airlock has been quiet for about 5 days now.

Donka,

I think I started mine too cool (about 50 -65 degrees, but maybe lower than 50 at night) so it is going really slow. I started it on 12/11, so six days ago. I moved it into the house where it is consistently 65-68, so that should help fermentation. I'll let you know when mine stops fermenting. I think I will buy a hydrometer, too, to really get an idea of when it is fermented out. I am going to ferment to dryness this time (I think).

I just thought I would update quickly. I just bottled the Whole Foods juice on 01-02, which is 22 days after the first day of fermentation. I tasted it and it was still pretty sweet. It still had a good apple taste, with just a hint of the alcohol coming through. I am letting it carbonate in the bottles, and will pasteurize on stovetop when it gets to proper fermentation.

I also started a new batch, with EC 1118, and added brown sugar last night. Within an hour it was fermenting super vigorously. I am going for more of an applewwien style this time--hence the EC 1118 and added sugar. I was almost worried at how vigorously it was fermenting! We'll see. I added a 1/2 cup of sugar (dissolved in 1 cup of boiling water) to a one gallon batch. I hope that was not too much sugar...

Any ideas on how long this should take to ferment to dry?

I'm a little afraid to admit what I did...

I just poured from the glass jug into the sterilized bottles. I poured as gently as possible to not oxygenate, and then left most of the sediment in the jug. I know that is not pretty, but it seems to have worked.

I will certainly buy a siphon for this next batch...

Back