First cider batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjhart7

Reaction score
Hello,

First time poster, first time cider maker... It's looks as though I'm at the right place as everyone seems so helpful.

I've just started my first cider batch (xmas present) 22 litre litre kit.

I'm pretty new so I'm not sure if what is happening is normal. A lot of advice here suggests patience is key.

I started 48 hours ago and I'm not sure if fermentation has started as the air lock isn't bubbling. I checked and there is a layer of foam visible. The kit suggests fermentation should last 7-10 days. I've also got the kuyt in the garage at about 13c.

Any help, support our advice is much appreciated!

If there is foam then there is fermentation. Check if the container and the airlock has a proper seal, maybe the gas is escaping somewhere.

A bubbling airlock is the worst indicator of fermentation. The visible foam indicates that the yeasties are doing their business. So don't worry it's working.

Did you take an Original Gravity (OG) reading with a hydrometer? Only true means to know if fermentation is finished. Lacking that, I would wait 2 weeks at least to bottle. Then let it rest in the bottle for a few weeks after that.

It will only get better with age. Read the forum. Use the search function. You're on your way!

No worries it'll turn out!

Cheers!

Isometric - the DR, it must be nice! I've been there to golf but would love to live there some day!

Cheers!

Great advice thank you. I'll leave it be for a couple of weeks.

I didn't take a reading at first but will do for the next batch.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back