First Brew_Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue_Atom87

Reaction score
After finally getting most supplies I couldnt wait and decided on whim to start first batch this afternoon. I decided to copy northern brewer smashing pumpkin recipe with the additions they recommend.

Converted to 2.5 gallon batch:
1LB Rahr 6-Row
.25lb Caramel 40
3.3lb Amber Malt
.5lb Pilsen Dried Malt
.5oz Cluster
1.25 Tablesppon Pumpkin Spice
2.5 lb Butternut Squash

Steeped the grains and squash in 3gal of spring water at 150*-152* for 30 min. The recipe called for 20 min but didnt realize that if you added the 6-row addition to steep for 1 hour. I then sparged with 1/2 gallon of water heated to 150F

Brought to boil and proceeded with:
1.65 lb AME at 60min
.5lb PDM at 60min
.5oz Cluster at 60min
1.65lb AME at 15min
1/2 Whirlfloc tablet at 10min
1.25 TBS Pumpkin Spice at flame out

Moved to sink to cool and this is where I have an issue. My tap water is 80F. Got it down to 90F in about an hour then transferred to fermenter (5lb corny keg). Was needing to finish up as we had plans so I pitched the yeast at 82F and then purged all air out with co2 tank. I wish I had spunding valve to pressure ferment but will have to do that next time. Popped on modified airlock and put in keezer set at 68F. It will fluctuate between 64-72.

I took OG and was 1.054 which is what the northern brewer called for so thats a positive. Also my boil off calculations were pretty good. Got right at 2.5 gallons. Hopefully the high pitch temp wont mess anything up. I plan to transfer to serving keg in about 10 days. I would like to force carb but not sure how with only utilizing 2.5gal of 5gal keg. I imagine 30PSI and rock it back and forth for around 12 hours may do trick? Any help on this part would be appreciated. Thanks

Nice! One of my first beers was a honey pumpkin porter.
To carbonate I set it to 30 psi and rock it for 2 minutes or so, then let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, then set it to serving pressure for a week to condition, then tap to serve. If it's a beer style that I like less carbonated then I set it 20 psi and do the same process. Seems to get the beer where I like it.

So this first batch I wanted to test brew to glass in 8 days. I fermented for 6 days, 24 hours cold crash, then force carb at 30PSI

Just tried a sample and has good pumpkin flavor. I think the 1 tablespoon of pumpkin spice in 2.5 gallon batch was a little too much but not so much that it is nasty. Of course beer would be much better conditioning etc but I am the only one drinking it and idc if its cloudy as long as it tastes good. Not trying to win any contest so im good with it.

I am going to get a 4th ball lock keg and plan to do every other batch as a "speed brew" wont do it in 8 days all the time but probably 1.5 weeks. This way I always have beer available whether conditioned or quick brewed. This will allow me to rotate giving me a chance to brew more and try various styles. I estimate I will need to drink around 2 beers a day to make this work. Plan to start my first all grain BIAB NEIPA this weekend

Back