First Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbodkin

Reaction score
Does this look normal?

First photo is 1 day after brewing the secound is 5 days later ... The head is gone but I can still see a lot of activity in the carboy (churning) ... Is this normal? (Sorry in advance for being a Newb) :drunk:

IMG00258.jpg

IMG00262.jpg

looks great!!!

Except I would have rigged a blow off tube when it looked like beer was getting into your airlock...could have been ceiling painting messy..

But all looks well....Just leave it alone for another couple weeks...

looks like a nice healthy ferment to me - you should have gone with a blow-off hose by the looks of that airlock! i think the second one is just gunk settling on the side of the carboy as the krausen receeds, nothing to worry about IMHO.

It looks totally normal to me. It looks like you had a pretty active fermentation that bubbled up through the airlock. I'm guessing that the airlock didn't get clogged, which is a plus. As long as the air kept going through it, a you probably just made a mess of the airlock. The beer should be ok though.

Next time, you might consider a blowoff tube:
Blowoff tube - Home Brewing Wiki

It will help prevent any big messes that can happen when an airlock gets clogged.

Another quick question ...

Would it be better to make a blowoff setup with a Carboy Cap and flex tube?

2_spout_yellow.jpg

or

Universal rubber bung with flex tube?

Prod-Bungs.gif

Was not sure if the Caps work well with blowoff setup? (Seems like most folks use rubber stoppers)

It is hard to tell in the first pic, but do you have a stopper in there? If so, you buried that thing deep when you set it. Be extra careful and not push it the rest of the way through, or you will play hell trying to get it back out.

It is hard to tell in the first pic, but do you have a stopper in there? If so, you buried that thing deep when you set it. Be extra careful and not push it the rest of the way through, or you will play hell trying to get it back out.

Ya ... I think bung I got was wrong ... It was not staying in and I ended up putting a little to much muscle on the little bastard ... I already started reading up on how to get it back out after I end up pushing it through when I try to get it out :drunk:

Back