first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redliner

Reaction score
I have my first brew going. it has been fermenting a week now. The first day it started bubbling within 6 hrs after I put the yeast in after 2 days it really slowed down just 1 bubble every 30 seconds or so. I checked it yesterday it was at 20 it needs to get down to 12. But it wasent bubbling anymore. Also when I opened it there was still yeast floating on top and it didnt seem to have any carbonation in it at all. Is it still okay do i need to add more yeast or anything?

The sure way to tell is to take a gravity reading, but I would leave it alone. Don't go by airlock activity. I leave mine in primary for 3-4 weeks.

Be patient. I usually leave mine alone for four weeks, but you can check it three weeks. It won't have carbonation until you bottle it, and of course you will add bottling sugar to make that happen. Keep reading and welcome to the forum!

I think we have another case of the first time homebrewer disease. By default, always revert back to the trusty motto:

RDWHAHB!

But in all seriousness though, the hardest part to starting out at homebrewing is making it through those painful 4 weeks of your first brew. It's like a newborn baby...you just can't help but worry about it night and day. Beer is a lot more resilient than you might think. If the ancients could do it with sub-par sanitation and wild yeast, then you should be just fine my friend. Welcome to the club/addiction. ;)

1.020 seems to be a stalling point for many new homebrewers. Extract batch? High OG?Yeast strain? Pitch plenty of yeast? Pitch at proper temperature? Fermantation temperature?

You may be able to drop a few points by rousing the yeast and raising the fermentation temperature if it is low. Kep it in range for the strain you are using.

You can keep the beer on the yeast cake for several weeks, and most actually find this beneficial. Yeast continue to condition the beer in the primary. But I suspect that you have some fermentable sugar available for the yeast to consume.

After 3 weeks or so, verify that fermentation is done by measuring the same gravity three days apart. Then you can prime and bottle, or keg.

1.020 seems to be a stalling point for many new homebrewers. Extract batch? High OG?Yeast strain? Pitch plenty of yeast? Pitch at proper temperature? Fermantation temperature?

You may be able to drop a few points by rousing the yeast and raising the fermentation temperature if it is low. Kep it in range for the strain you are using.

You can keep the beer on the yeast cake for several weeks, and most actually find this beneficial. Yeast continue to condition the beer in the primary. But I suspect that you have some fermentable sugar available for the yeast to consume.

After 3 weeks or so, verify that fermentation is done by measuring the same gravity three days apart. Then you can prime and bottle, or keg.

+1 :mug:

agree, + 1 to post above. is there an upvote option on here?

Don't stress it. its hard when you only have one beer going, once you have 30 gallons bottle conditioning in your living room you will feel better about yourself, or at least be too wasted to care.

welcome to thunderdome.

awesome guys thanks very much. Yes it is a extract brew one of the true brew ones oktoberfest. Ill let it sit for 2 more weeks before I check it again. can't wait to get better at this and go AG

Its amazing how much patience you will find you have after the first "panic" brew. I have found that i can easily let my brew do its thing without constantly checking in on it.

Yeah, it sounds like you just checked the gravity too soon. As often mentioned on this forum air-lock activity is not sole evidence of fermentation. I would let it sit for at least another week before you try any of the suggestions above. That is unless you have it in too cold of a location. What is the temperature where it is fermenting?

Back