First brew with the electric steup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonefishing

Someday I'll stop procrastinating
Reaction score
First, it works. It looks weird, but it did work.
I brewed a pale ale today, but not without a few issues. Mostly minor, as I'd expect with a new system, the only majoe issue didn't have anything to do with the brewery...I discovered my counterflow chiller leaks and is junk.
The other problem that had nothing to do with the brewery was all me...I forgot to start a timer when the boil started. I ended up boiling for too long and have less than 4 gallons left. I also forgot to put the boil hops in until I started the timer, so their boil times are correct. I think I'll take the gravity after it's cool and top off if need be. Do you guys and gals think that's the best plan?
Nest time I'll use a checklist.
The great news is that the brewery worked great.

Hell, even plugging it in and firing it up is brave - I'm sure you'll get used to the new process !

Based on the gravity reading I got, I'm not going to top is off. I'll pay more attention next time.

It was a bit scary to flip the switch on it. LOL

That sound was kind of sweet to hear.
I hope to brew two more batches this weekend. They will be Smashes, both using Vienna. I have a co-worker who just closed his small brewery and who told me he'd sell me the malt I need.

got a picture of your rig?
I remember the first time I turned the knobs on mine . Still a little workhorse.

I'd be interested to hear any issues you may have had dialing it in, and what you did to fix/change it. I'm assembling a 3-vessel HERMS now and should be firing it up in a matter of weeks - never brewed electric before and would appreciate the insight.

Back