First Brew Underway...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will probably go higher. You need a blow-off tube, or fermcap-S. The kreusen can end up being taller than the beer itself... best take it pretty seriously. :(

Well, second brew is in the secondary fermenter I got. Brewing 5 gallons of Apfelwein based upon Edworts recipe. We'll see how it ends up!! Wife wants to hand out bottles at Christmas, but I told her it probably wont be ready by then.

It will probably go higher. You need a blow-off tube, or fermcap-S. The kreusen can end up being taller than the beer itself... best take it pretty seriously. :(

Woke up this morning to find my airlock full of krausen. So I btook the airlockout and shoved a hose in the bung and the other end in a bucket of sanitizer. We'll see how that works out.

I hope you sanitized the hose before you shoved it in the bottle.

Yeah I have a trusty bottle of starsan in a spray bottle. Sprayed down the inside and outside plus the bung as well.

Had to leave early this morning for all day, so I get to see what happened tonight at 6pm.

For sanitization I used the cleaning solution AHS provided, basically poured 5 gallons in the carboy, added the solution, and mixed itup.

Hmmm. Make sure you know the difference between a cleaner and a sanitizer. You want a sanitizer.

If is B-Bright or One-Step, it's a cleaner. PBW is a cleaner.

Get some Starsan. It's a sanitizer. Others use iodophor or bleach, which also are sanitizers.

Latest posts

Back