First Brew Tomorrw

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimiGibbs

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I have assembled everything I need for my first brew. I'm starting with a True Brew Amber All Malt kit and everybody keeps telling me it's pretty hard to mess this one up. I'm planning on a week in my plastic primary and a couple in a glass secondary. Right now I only have two questions that seem pretty picky ....

1. The kit contains one package of hop pellets and says to add them when I add the liquid and dried extracts. Other things I have seen say to add the hops later. Does it matter with this kit?

2. I plan to fill up my bottleing bucket with sanitizer and run everything through it but what is the best way to sanitize my plastic primary? I don't plan to pour the wort in until it is below 80 degrees so does it need to be sanitized? I know that sounds like a dumb question ....

Thanks in advance for your help.....
Jimi

JimiGibbs said:
1. The kit contains one package of hop pellets and says to add them when I add the liquid and dried extracts. Other things I have seen say to add the hops later. Does it matter with this kit?

2. I plan to fill up my bottleing bucket with sanitizer and run everything through it but what is the best way to sanitize my plastic primary? I don't plan to pour the wort in until it is below 80 degrees so does it need to be sanitized? I know that sounds like a dumb question ....
1) Wait until your wort is boiling before adding the hops, preferably after the hot break has occured.

2) YES! Sanitize your primary! Sanitize it the same way you do your bottling bucket, by filling it with sanitizer.

Sanitise everything that isn't going to be boiled. Most sanitiser will give you instructions on concentration and contact times requires.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll love the results.

I have a Mild Brown, American Amber Ale and Rossi Honey Pale Ale, all transferred to secondaries today. It is going to be close on my two bottled beers running out before these are ready. Brewing again on Monday (15 gal)to get as much going as possible.:p

I'm pretty sure I have assembled everything I need for my first brew. I'm starting with a True Brew Amber All Malt kit and everybody keeps telling me it's pretty hard to mess this one up. I'm planning on a week in my plastic primary and a couple in a glass secondary. Thanks in advance for your help.....
Jimi

Good luck?:mug:

How did it turn out?:ban:

quit whining, you have your fun I'll have mine

Back