First Brew, Think My Yeast is Dead. Help!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesioMedia

Reaction score
Hi,

So I got my first kit and set of HB supplies from austin home brew. It arrived on tuesday but my room mate only brought in the box but did not refrigerate the yeast. I got home on thursday and refrigerated the yeast asap. I brewed for the first time yesterday. I ordered AHB's stout kit with wyeast irish ale smack pack.

So the reasons I think I need to re pitch are.
1) Yeast sat out in hot weather for a couple of days before I got to refrigerate it.
2) Smack pack didn't really inflate. I "smacked" the pack while it was cold and let it come to room for about 5 hours.
3) Pitched the yeast in to wert at ~100ºF.
4) Didn't really aerate the wert except for whipping while it was hot (bad idea.)
4) Its been ~30 hours and I have seen no bubbles or krausen or krausen lines.

I am going to wait until tomorrow at noonish and see if anything changes. I forgot to take a OG reading when I brewed but I think if I take one tomorrow and its still high I know my yeast never activated. Is this logical?

I am also having worries about sanitation. I bleached everything but only left it for ~15 min. Second the water that I rinsed the bleach solution off with may not have boiled but was defiantly above 150ºf. In addition, the water that the wert got added to I am also not sure if it ever boiled.

When I re-pitch the yeast tomorrow, which I think I am going to have to, should I re boil the wert and re sanitize everything?

Thanks in advance.

Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start...

Hence the title of this thread right above where you posted this...https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43635

Give it a few days...and unless you are fermenting in a carboy, you really can't tell without a hydrometer because...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showpost.php?p=609860&postcount=5

In the future make a starter whether or not the smack pack inflates....and cool the wort down to below 80 before you pitch...

Give it 72 hours before you consider repitching....If you post your recipe, or if your recipe lists the OG, after 72 hours take a hydro reading and see if it's dropped....If your recipe doesn't list the OG post it and we can get a rough calculation of what the OG should be...If you do need to repitch...no you don't re boil your wort...you just pitch yeast.

But for right now;

Stepaway_copy.jpg

I think that it's not so bad. You know the mistakes, but none of them are necessarily deadly for your beer!

First of all, the yeast may easily take 36-72 hours to get going without a starter. So, don't worry yet.

I never boiled my top off water, and my beer was always good. If you have a good water supply, it shouldn't be too much of a concern. If you end up repitching fresh yeast, either make a starter (so you know the yeast is viable), or use dry yeast and pitch directly. No need to reboil the wort- you'll just change the flavor profile by boiling aroma hops, etc.

I'd suggest that switching from bleach to a no -rinse sanitizer would help with some of the worries of rinsing the bleach off.

I have the og in my recipe (1.053, but I could be totally wrong) and I am fermenting in a carboy.

Back