first brew...small batch kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtaylor3

Reaction score
Received a craft-a-brew kit for Christmas and two weeks ago i very strictly followed the directions and brewed and put it in the 1-gal carboy and after about twelve hours the blowoff hose started to bubble so i switched to the airlock per the instructions and still had bubble action.

After 3-4 days the bubbles stopped and i immediately got on here and read the beginner faqs and seen that all should be well...i don't have a hydrometer so im just following the directions which say it should be bottled this Saturday...by the way the kit is an American pale ale

Leave it in fermentation for at least 2 weeks, without a hydrometer I suggest 3 weeks so you are sure that it has fully fermented. Longer will not hurt and may be even better. I do most of my beers in primary only for 3 weeks, then bottle or keg them.

Welcome to homebrewing! I would let it stay in the fermenter for at least 2 full weeks. I know your instructions say otherwise but you should let the yeast take their time to do their thing. Once they finish fermentation they begin a sort of clean up process that help the flavor of the beer. Just let it ride out a full two weeks, keep it away from sunlight, and watch your temperature during fermentation. Good luck!

Personally, I would wait 3 weeks in your carboy and 2 weeks in the bottles. I know the directions say otherwise, but if you can be patient, you'll usually end up with better beer. Since you don't have a hydrometer, 3 weeks will give more time if fermentation hasn't finished and aging cures a lot of off flavors if any... Enjoy!

I should clarify...this Sat. Will be two wks in primary....i did think about getting a second carboy and doing 1-2 weeks of secondary being that i typically drink light or amber lagers and a few ales but rarely pale ales....being an apa it should be a little less hoppy then an ipa correct? I do enjoy the occasional two hearted ale from bells

Back