First Brew Pot Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REPO

Reaction score
So I am in the process of buying everything i need to try AG brewing. I just hot a 10 gallon pot. My question is if I need a false bottom or one of those stainless sleeves for the bottom valve? (Similar to the Rubbermaid mash tun?)

How do you keep the hops, Irish moss, etc from draining out with the wort? I have been reading lots about AG, but nothing really clear on this part.

Thanks!

Please define need. I use a paint strainer bag and lift it and the spent grains out of the pot but it would work in your pot in place of a false bottom. You might need something like a vegetable steamer under it to give a little space for the wort to drain.

Look up BIAB, a paint strainer bag or a custom made bag is all the equipment you need to add to your pot for all grain. That will get you brewing right away.

No, you don't need either. Assuming you're using an immersion chiller, try stirring during chilling. This will help chill the wort faster and encourage all of the crap to settle towards the middle of the pot. Just be sure to let it sit undisturbed for about 15 minutes after chilling and stirring to let it settle out.

You can always add some sort of filter later.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Home Brew mobile app

Would I drain the wort through some sort of filter? Or just leave it and let any particles settle out in the yeast cake in my primary?

I ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket. I just use one of the 5gal bucket paint stainer (sanitized) in my fermenter and empty the pot through it. Then just pull the bag out and you have nothing but liquid wort left in the bucket. I tried the bazooka screen, but it clogged up too easily.

+1 To the paint strainer. I've also tried the bazooka screen and it clogs up rather quickly. I do 11 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle with a valve, but i never use the valve. I just use paint strainer bags in buckets and scoop the first 5.5 gallons out into the first bucket with a sanitized pitcher. The second bucket i just dump the remains of the kettle into it with the strainer bag and use it to pull the hops/trub out. Works perfectly for me.

Latest posts

Back