First Brew, In Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT's AZ Ale Haus

Reaction score
My first 5gal brew, netted 44 bottles.

Now the wait begins, and the 2nd batch boils tomorrow.
20180728_220346.jpeg

Very nice!

Can you keep a secret?
You can fully carbonate bottles in 3-4 days. Shhh! Not too loud.

Store bottles at 72-75F.
3-4 times a day for the first 2-3 days, flip the bottles upside-down and back again several times to rouse all the yeast sediment from the bottom (gently, don't shake).
Allow one additional day to rest. It should be clearing. Put a few bottles in the fridge for 1-2 days and then drink up!

I use corn sugar for priming, not sure if that matters. People say it doesn't, but they also say bottle priming takes 2-4 weeks.
This works best for session beers and 2 week primary or less. Adding a half packet of Premier Cuvee at bottling does a wonderful job very quickly for higher ABV and longer ferments.

.. Of course it may take additional weeks or months for flavor to peak, depending on beer style and other factors. So impatience isn't necessarily rewarded.
Store them cold once carbonated.

Cheers

Very nice!

Can you keep a secret?

Store bottles at 72-75F.
3-4 times a day for the first 2-3 days, flip the bottles upside-down and back again several times to rouse all the yeast sediment from the bottom (gently, don't shake).
Allow one additional day to rest. It should be clearing. Put a few bottles in the fridge for 1-2 days and then drink up!

I use corn sugar for priming, not sure if that matters. People say it doesn't, but they also say bottle priming takes 2-4 weeks.
This works best for session beers and 2 week primary or less. Adding a half packet of Premier Cuvee at bottling does a wonderful job very quickly for higher ABV and longer ferments.

.. Of course it may take additional weeks or months for flavor to peak, depending on beer style and other factors. So impatience isn't necessarily rewarded.

Cheers
My house is at a constant 79° and my beers are in the pantry.

Is 79° OK for bottle resting beer?

I live in AZ so its a constant Hell° outside this time of year and 79° is the best I can do without going to a Refer.

High temps means it'll stale/oxidize in a shorter timeframe. Might want to refrigerate after carbonation completes.
... Or just drink it faster :)

Nice!! Bottled my first batch sat. I only netted 41. Gonna be a long 2 weeks. Let me know how good it is.

My #1 tip is: Drink 100% of your beer in a timely manner. I have had way too many bottles go bad after 3-6 months, generally due to over carbonation from likely infection or wild yeast. The longer it sits the more chance it has to get ruined. So drink it up!! Especially when the beer is at the point where it tastes awesome and is perfectly carbonated. Also if you make sure to drink up all of your beer, you get to learn the most about the ingredients you used.

Personally I now keg my beer and have not had a carbonation issue since, and I will never look back

My first 5gal brew, netted 44 bottles.

Now the wait begins, and the 2nd batch boils tomorrow.View attachment 581287
We always line are beers up, nicely, don't we? Kind of like combing your hair for a picture. Yours are even symmetrical.
I didn't even realize I was being so neat the first time, but when I put a batch of bottled beers on the shelf to carbonate, I lined them even with the wire racking so that they were all in perfect rows. Mind you, there was no reason to do this. It's satisfying to see, is what I would guess.
Just meandering thoughts.

Congrats on bottling your first brew! I have 4 bottles left from my first brew which was an IPA, and have 2 weeks left until I bottle my second brew, a lager. Cheers!

Very nice!

Can you keep a secret?

Store bottles at 72-75F.

Cheers

Not even sure if you have to tip the bottles or not. Room temp where I live is about 74-80 and the carbonation is usually done in 4-5 days. Though what seems to make it better is 48-72 hours in the fridge (clears it up and carbonation gets in the beer better)

To the OP: Nice! I have the same hop cone caps :D

Back