First Brew Going OK???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TigerMark89

Reaction score
Ok guys this is first brew so forgive me for my impatience, but I have alot of family and friends waiting for the my first batch, some probably in hopes of failure.

I am brewing a Coopers Ale....everything with cook when great, I was able to cool down the 3 gallon wort in about 20 minutes and topped it off with cold water to get temp down to about 75. I pitched the yeast directly out of the package and sealed everything up tight and its been sitting at a constant temp of around 65.

Its been 36 hours and I havent seen the "vigorous" bubbling that some describe but there is dome inside the airlock has risen up so I assume that the yeast is starting to kick in.

Now for my small concerns, I didn't stir or shake the wort much so not sure if I added enough oxygen and second, is 65 degrees a little too cool, I am using the Coopers yeast and it did not give me a specific temp.

Thanks and FWIW I'm hooked on the hobby regardless if I trash this batch.

Relax. I am pretty sure we have all been through this. Be patient. I would leave it in the fermentor for 2-3 weeks and I think you will be fine.

It sounds like you're doing just fine, and maybe even better.

I find my yeasts from envelopes don't take off quite as fast as those from vials. 36 hours is a decent span of time, but certainly not "late" in the game. I'd actually say you're probably about halfway through the span of time where you should expect to start seeing something.

65 degrees is fine. My house temp varies between 50 at night and 65 during the day. I've never had a yeast not take hold. I'm actually putting a Stout in a cold part of the house now to slow things down a bit since it looked like it was going to get more vigorous than I would want.

It is important to reintroduce air (or pure oxygen, if you have the ability) into wort before pitching the yeast -- especially if you're doing a full-boil batch (all grain) since boiling removes gases from the wort. Ideally you're looking for around 8-10 ppm dissolved oxygen in your wort for the yeast to use in their goal for total wort domination. Even though yeast can and do work in anaerobic settings, healthy yeast growth happens in an aerobic environment first. There's some gas law about maximum solubility of oxygen into liquid from introduced air (not pure O2) so whether you're using an aquarium pump or just shaking the bajeezus out of the carboy/bucket/whatever you'll reach a maximum level -- which will be fine for damn near anything but supergravity beers.

If it doesn't look like your fermentation's going too well try sneaking a sample out and take a gravity reading to get an idea of what the yeast is doing. If the yeast look like they've fallen out of suspension and are settling to the bottom try rousing them by shaking things up a bit. Also, I'm not sure of the yeast you're using but 65 may be a little on the coolish side -- just search the strain you're using to get an idea of what's best for it.

In either case, take a gravity reading today or tomorrow, compare to what your FG should be and if you're off a good bit you can repitch/try rousing the yeast and raising the temperature a few degrees/just wait it out to see... whatever happens remember to relax and have a beer. That's the most important part.

Going off this thread as it sort of pertains to a question I have. I have been amassing equipment before my first brew and I believe it is finally going to happen this Thursday night! :ban: But in regards to aerating the wort before yeast pitch, I ordered this guy from AHS and I was wondering what you guys thought or how efficient this would be to aerate the wort?
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_34_458&products_id=2101

Ok I overreacted, went home and it was bubbling away. Just add me to the list of emotional newbies.

I think I'll have a drink and watch the bubbling.

There you go! My aeration consists of dropping the wort through a strainer from the chiller to the bucket.

Last brew I rehydrated 2 packs of US-05 and had active fermentation in under 4hours.

Back