First Brew (Ft. Collins Amber Clone Kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgb294

Reaction score
So I brewed my first batch last night and have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

1) I wasn't able to take a hydrometer reading until this morning because I broke it and had to get a new one. I got an OG reading of 1.052. Is this accurate since one, I took it after I pitched my yeast, and two I took it about 15 hours after it was brewed.

2) I used liquid yeast that I did not keep refrigerated. It was a little over a week old. I called the company that I got it from and they said it would be fine. I haven't seen any action in my airlock and it's been 24hrs. I am going to open my fermenter tomorrow and see if there are signs of the fermentation beginning. If not I may have to add a pack of dry yeast. How do I go about this? Do I just sprinkle it on top? Should I stir it in?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty excited about this first batch and am a little anxious hoping I did everything correctly!!

kgb294 said:
So I brewed my first batch last night and have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

1) I wasn't able to take a hydrometer reading until this morning because I broke it and had to get a new one. I got an OG reading of 1.052. Is this accurate since one, I took it after I pitched my yeast, and two I took it about 15 hours after it was brewed.

2) I used liquid yeast that I did not keep refrigerated. It was a little over a week old. I called the company that I got it from and they said it would be fine. I haven't seen any action in my airlock and it's been 24hrs. I am going to open my fermenter tomorrow and see if there are signs of the fermentation beginning. If not I may have to add a pack of dry yeast. How do I go about this? Do I just sprinkle it on top? Should I stir it in?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm pretty excited about this first batch and am a little anxious hoping I did everything correctly!!

1. I probably wouldn't worry too much about OG. It's good to know, but it is t critical. If it was an extract kit and you put in all the ingredients as got the right volume, your OG should be pretty close.

2. As for the yeast, I don't know. I do know that yeast can take up to 72 hours to really get going. Also, the fact that your airlock isn't bubbling really doesn't mean much. I wouldn't worry for at least another day or two.

Relax. The first batch can be nerve wracking, but you will be fine.

Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to start. This is dependent upon the pitching rate, temperature pitched, aeration of the wort and the strain of yeast used. Be patient, fermentation will start but will delayed because you used liquid yeast with no starter and since the yeast probably started out stressed as well.

If you continue to use liquid yeast learn how to make appropriate starters: http://www.yeastcalc.com or http://www.mrmalty.com

Thanks for all the replies. I woke up to see my airlock bubbling and was very happy!

Back