First brew fermenting away (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hollowdp

Reaction score
So with the help of an old college roommate who has a few (okay, a lot) of brews under his belt I made my first batch this Saturday. I used an extract recipe with some specialty grains that I picked up from the LHBS to make a Rogue Dead Guy Ale clone. We're also planning on taking some of the yeast we harvested from the blowoff (Wyeast 1056) to brew a 10 gallon all grain SNPA clone at his house next weekend to split. I'm very interested in going all grain so it will be nice to see how it's done as I work to build up my equipment.

The smackpack was smacked late Saturday night and left on the counter over night. I woke up to a bag that looked like it could pop at any second and started my 1L starter. The yeast was pitched at about 6PM on 11/10 into the 64 degree wort. It probably hit high krausen sometime in the wee hours of Monday morning and that's when I swapped the sanitized Erlenmeyer flask out for the bucket filled with sanitizer for the blowoff since the flask was filled. I popped the flask in the fridge with an airlock for the SNPA clone so hopefully that will be ready to go. This morning 11/14 at about 8:30 on my way out the door I checked and I'm getting a bubble out of the bucket every second or so. It smells a bit like apple juice. Is that anything to be concerned about?

I put the pics up on my newly created flickr stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20797732@N08/sets/72157603167098314/

As you can see there's a lot of proteins at the bottom and a good layer of yeast and then a lot of krausen up at the top. There are also some solids that float up and down with the bubbles being produced. Hopefully they'll settle down once the fermentation slows.

Nothing to be concerned about. The airlock aromas vary wildly from batch to batch. My tripel smells like grain right now.

Welcome to the club! I'd suggest going partial-mash and slowly working your way up to AG. You don't even really need a huge mash tun for PM. I did my first mashes in the kettle (still do actually) and drained/sparged by pouring the grist into my pasta strainer insert that came with my cookware set. Of course, you eventually outgrow this as your grain:extract ratio gets bigger, but it's a great way to start if you don't wanna spend any more $$ yet.

Evan! thanks for the info. I'll have to read more on the partial mash. I'm about half way through the Papazian book now and I check the forum pretty regularly. This thread finally takes me out of lurker status.

Thanks BierMuncher! Hopefully it comes out tasting as good as it looks. I'm already hooked but it would certainly help to have my first batch come out as a big hit.

Well I racked it over to secondary, took a gravity reading, and had my first taste last night. The beer was quite clear and the color looked like a match albeit I had no real dead guy for a side by side comparison. It was missing some hop aroma and maybe even a little bitterness but maybe that will come out with the carbonation. It was my first time drinking beer that wasn't finished but it tasted good. The gravity reading was 1.013 +.006 for temp and my target was 1.014 so I didn't miss anything there. Hopefully my starting gravity was 1.060 as I should have expected (didn't have a hydrometer yet).

Nice job it looks the like brew is coming along nicely. Congrats and welcome to the obsession.

Well I had another session this weekend over at my buddies place. I did my first all grain batch using a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone recipe but we used some homegrown hops from Springfield, VA for flavor so we dubbed it the Springfield Nevada Pale Ale. We made a ten gallon batch and I've never been more nervous in my life than I was driving back with my 5 gallons of brew in my front seat (belted in of course). I got to mill grain, do my first mash, my first full boil, and use an immersion chiller. It was quite the learning experience and I really enjoyed it.

Here's a picture of it fermenting away next to my Rogue Dead Guy Ale in secondary. I plan to bottle the Rogue this Saturday assuming I have enough clean bottles. I'm already wishing I had kegs.
2067163841_6f1d488226.jpg

Back