First Brew Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramarok

Reaction score
So I brewed a AHS Coffee Malt Stout all-grain kit using BIAB method on Feb 2. Airlock was bubbling away 6 hours after pitching and stayed at a very vigorous bubbling for 3 days and then just stopped. Out of curiosity (yes I know a bad trait for fermentation) I checked the gravity on Feb 5 and it was at 1.024. Sample tasted great though. :)

Let it sit for the remainder of this week to do it's thing and had some minor bubbling throughout the week.

Just checked the gravity again today, Feb 9, after a week in the fermenter and it's still 1.024. Here's a pic from the fermenter this morning:

fermenter.jpg

And another pic of the sample:

sample.jpg

Here's the recipe from Beersmith:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.36 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.51 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 21.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 48.0 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.4 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

9 lbs Maris Otter
12.0 oz Coffee Malt
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L
2.0 oz Black (Patent) Malt
2.0 oz Black Barley (Stout)
1.00 oz Galena [13.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min
8.00 oz Malto-Dextrine - Boil 60.0 mins

1.0 pkg London Ale (White Labs #WLP013)

Mash Schedule: BIAB, Full Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 4.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp. Step Time
Saccharification Add 8 gal. of water at 164.2 F 156.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 168.0 F over 7 min 10 min

I hit my mash temp of 156* after adding the grain perfectly, except for losing about 5 degrees over the 60 minute mash.

Pre-boil gravity was 1.045
Post-boil gravity was 1.060 going into fermenter. Beersmith says I got 86.8% mash efficiency.

Volumes were good and had 5.5 gallons into the fermenter with about 2 qts left in the keg.

Pitched a 1L yeast starter with the WLP013 at 68F. Fermented in a t-shirt swamp cooler in my tub and water temp has stayed at 62-64F. Temp of beer in the fermenter this morning was 66.2F

Question is should I be expecting this high of a FG or could I possibly have a stuck fermentation? Or should I RDWHAHB and let it go another week before bottling?

A week total is a very short amount of time in a fermenter, especially for a stout, I would give it another week before taking another sample, even maybe go 3 weeks total in primary.

Also mashing at 156 will give you a bit less fermentable wort than at 154, even though you said you lost 5 degrees over the hour mash.

After initial fermentation, you can always raise the fermenter temp by a few degrees to help the fermentation finnish, I do this with some of my brews.

Cheers :)

Are you using a refractometer? If so, you have to use an online calculator to get FG. That's pretty low attenuation, but if it's been at that gravity for awhile, you're done. If it tastes good, you're good.

I only have a hydrometer. I tested with both that I have though and got the same readings. I did sanitize my stainless spoon and very gently stirred to get some yeast back in suspension on the advice of a long time homebrewer friend. Hoping that helps get me down a little further. I'll let it sit another week and check it again just to be safe though.

Latest posts

Back