First brew ever -- did I infect it already?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nytimez

Reaction score
Hello -- total noob here, I just brewed my first batch today and after being extra careful not to even breath on my wort when it cooled, I made the awful mistake of cutting the yeast packet open over my wort.

The top strip fell it (actually floated on top of the foam) and I quickly pulled it out with the sanitized spoon, which was already in my hand.

I did sanitize the packet (when I started, about 2 hours earlier). But the strip that fell in was probably where I held it when I picked up the packet and moved it around.

I know this is a huge infection risk and there's no way to know now if my batch will turn out bad... but any ideas on just how big a risk this is?

Thanks in advance.

I know this is a huge infection risk and there's no way to know now if my batch will turn out bad... but any ideas on just how big a risk this is?

Thanks in advance.

Unless you used it as toilet paper right before doing so, I think your risk is pretty damn low. I have done worse and worried a lot less.

More than likely you're fine. I did a lager a few months back. I have no great process for getting the temps down in the 50 degree range for lager yeast so I had my bucket in an ice bath and had my wort chiller in the wort as well. When I finally got it to pitching temps, I pulled the chiller out and grabbed the handle of the bucket. I did't realize that it was submerged in icy hose water until the handle was dripping into my cooled wort. The beer turned out awesome. Stories like that are more common on here than you would think considering how sanitary you should be.

Cheers!

Steve

Thanks for such quick replies -- I feel a lot better now. Hoping for the best...

people have been brewing beer for hundreds of years in very unsanitary conditions in very unsanitary equipment. I dont think StarSan was around when they invented beer!

as for using the yeast packets for wipe, just use your hand!

I can't use yeast packs for toilet paper?!

That was NOT in my instructions.

They really should clarify that.

My cousin had his rubber stopper on his fermenting bucket fall in as he was putting the airlock on and had to reach in and grab it (after rinsing his arm and sanitizing as best he could). Beer came out fine.

My first batch i washed my hands and used them to squeeze out my hops as I strained/rinsed them since all I had was a small strainer. (When I do my pliny clone I'm going to need a giant strainer).

Basically, you're fine. RDWHAB (h removed since you don't have a home brew yet)

Well, you sanitized it earlier which is a plus. Also, with the amount of yeast you are pitching you'll be fine. They, like other micro-organisms, will reproduce and make the environment suitable to them as fast as possible so they can out-compete rivals (i.e. things that may infect your beer.) The yeast win by sheer numbers.

It's science
Burgandy.jpeg

Did the exact same thing almost. I dropped the strip and while trying to catch it, I dropped the whole packet and scissors. And plunged my arm in one motion. It was slow mo. Beer turned out fine.
It was an off day. Stuff happens.

Thanks everyone -- I don't feel so terrible anymore.

Glad I found this site -- I've been meaning to give homebrewing a try for a while now, lurking on these forums and reading everyone's experiences finally gave me the courage to actually go for it.

Didn't realize I'd be posting my first mistake so quickly, tho!

We've all done stupid stuff. I have dipped my hole and and arm up toy elbow into the fermentors ( after spraying down with starsan) because the little grimmer fell in there.

Turned out to be my best beer I ever made. It will be fine.

We've all done stupid stuff. I have dipped my hole and and arm up toy elbow into the fermentors ( after spraying down with starsan) because the little grimmer fell in there.

Turned out to be my best beer I ever made. It will be fine.

You dipped your hole? How is that possible? :confused:

Back