First Brew - Double Check My Supply List

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jed2009

Reaction score
Hey all,

I started off with some simple cider to see if I would enjoy brewing, and I enjoy it. This was a while ago however, so I am starting fresh. I am not looking to go crazy, just one 5-gallon batch at a time. I would like for y'all to double check my supply list to see if I am missing anything.

I am thinking about the Goose Island Porter starter kit here. I like porters and stouts, so this recipe included works. Additionally a secondary fermenter just to have, it sounds like several recipes call for this so want to get it up front, and can use it for sanitizing. Last, 24 of the 22 oz bottles - I think I will prefer these over the 12 oz bottles. I read through the reviews of the kit and sounds like it has just about everything but thermo/hydrometer.

So, what I'll be ordering:
- Bottles
- Full recipe
- Fermentor
- 2nd Fermentor
- Airlock
- Bottling Bucket with Spigot
- Bottle Filler
- 5 Gal Kettle
- Spoon
- Siphon, hose, hose holder
- Oxygen wash
- Bottle Brush
- Capper and caps

Other things I can think of that are missing out of that order but will get:
- Can opener
- Glass measuring cup
- Plastic / foil
- Thermometer
- Hydrometer
- Strainer

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited:
First off even though most recipes call for a secondary fermenter they are completely pointless unless you are aging for a long amount of time... A thermometer and hydrometer are must have so I would put it on your list and also a strainer (its just nice to have)... That's it I think...

First off even though most recipes call for a secondary fermenter they are completely pointless unless you are aging for a long amount of time... A thermometer and hydrometer are must have so I would put it on your list and also a strainer (its just nice to have)... That's it I think...

Hey thanks for the info. When you say "aging for a long amount of time", how long is that?

Hey thanks for the info. When you say "aging for a long amount of time", how long is that?
well, it depends on how crazy you want to get some people age stouts in secondary or bottles for up to three months but it depends on how long you can wait until you succumb to the urge to drink, you don't have to but you can...

well, it depends on how crazy you want to get some people age stouts in secondary or bottles for up to three months but it depends on how long you can wait until you succumb to the urge to drink, you don't have to but you can...

He, he, he. I rarely sample a stout until it has been in the bottle for 6 months and have finished a batch where the last bottle had been 2 years from brewing. I have left a brown ale in my bucket fermenter for 9 weeks. I've only secondaried 2 batches where I added fruit for a true secondary fermentation. Otherwise, primary is all the beer needs.

I'd order starsan or idophor and delete the oxiwash and just pick up oxiclean versatile free..

I usually keg, but if your gonna bottle defiantly get the 22oz bottles .. lol I just bottled 6 gallons of cider in 12oz bottle shoot me lol

Definitely mirroring that you don't need a secondary and like others you'll want to age the stout for months. You can do that in the fermenter or bottles. I'm coming up on 2yrs for my first stout.

Consider some 12oz bottles to give away and or use to test aging. Easier to drink a bad 12oz glass than lose another 10oz.

I'm giving a capper away, see the classified section.

Back