First Brew, Capping questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nfrayer

Reaction score
I have about 3 days until I will be siphoning my first batch of oat soda into bottles. I am pretty sure I have a grasp on how my auto siphon works, praticed, and I am follow a detailed recipe with priming instructions. I'm reusing bottles from a few different branded beer companies. I have soaked the bottles for about a day and removed all labels, have scrub them thoroughly with pipe cleaner in soap and water, rinsed, and plan on doing a no rinse sanitation the morning before the magical moment. My question is, should I be concerned at all about any cross contamination, and will a twist off 12 oz bottle cap correctly with my bright red, double armed capping mechanism. Please help a new brewer out, I'm sure it will not be the first time.:confused:

You might have problems with twist-off bottles not holding as good a seal or breaking under the pressure of the capper. I've never tried them, but that's the story around here.

Go buy some good beer! :p

And welcome to the forum!

i wouldn't use the twist bottles. they may work, but i wouldn't trust them, ESPECIALLY with the two-handed capper. I'd get a bench capper and use only non-twist bottles.

Appreciate the advice. I work with a catering company for some extra cash, and I do all of their bartending so I have an endless supply of bottles. Guess I'll try and find some more bottles

nfrayer said:
I have about 3 days until I will be siphoning my first batch of oat soda into bottles. I am pretty sure I have a grasp on how my auto siphon works, praticed, and I am follow a detailed recipe with priming instructions. I'm reusing bottles from a few different branded beer companies. I have soaked the bottles for about a day and removed all labels, have scrub them thoroughly with pipe cleaner in soap and water, rinsed, and plan on doing a no rinse sanitation the morning before the magical moment. My question is, should I be concerned at all about any cross contamination, and will a twist off 12 oz bottle cap correctly with my bright red, double armed capping mechanism. Please help a new brewer out, I'm sure it will not be the first time.:confused:

IMHO ,your bright red, double armed capping mechanism will generally be ok on regular bottles, but not screw caps. There will be some problem with a few caps not sealing now and then. This has been my experience. :)
Good Luck......

I only use non-twist top bottles but supposedly the twist top ones will work, I just don't trust them.
As for priming and bottling are you using a bottling bucket and adding your sugar water to the beer before bottling. I'm asking because it didn't sound like thats what you were planning. Priming in a bottling bucket makes it easier to ensure even carbonation in every bottle and helps to prevent bottle bombs. It also makes it easier to bottle as you don't have to worry about keeping the "prime" on your siphon.

Craig

Take a close look at the twist off style bottles and compare to a pry off. The wing capper grabs on to a ridge of glass around the neck to pull the cap on tightly. This ring of glass is missing on most twist off bottles. When you use a bench top capper, it pushes the cap down by holding against the bottom of the bottle.

Back